cohabitating????

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pretty sure the wondering violin mantis and the new ones that Yen bred, texas unicorn, are communal

well i have texas ( getting them) and my cage design would be alot easier if they were compatable

well glad i asked cause one of the information sheets bout boxers said they were a small species which could be keep in colonies

the new ones that Yen bred, texas unicorn, are communal
I was recently told by one hobbyist that his L2 Texas Unicorn nymph was chomping down another. While i have never seen it happen, there is always a biological evidence shown that environmental stress could make animals changed into cannibalism for survival. Afterall, all praying mantis prey on insects and are canivorous.

yah i was a bit worried about canabalism happening, because i have seen them "strike" at each other

so far, no injuries

but who knows, anything can happen

well i'll keep the uni's together but if i see them actting agressive then i'll separate them..

the cage should big enough though to not cause any problem between them

I just recieved some of Yen's Texas unicorns, and am curious about this also!

I have some screen mantid cages I made from aluminum window screen, approximately 18" tall and 8" in diameter (they're round). They're all screen except for the top and bottom. Would these be suitable for 4 nymphs (not sure what instar, but they're about 1 to 1.5" long)?

Also, since I only have 4 and would like them all to survive for possible breeding in the future, is it too risky to keep them together, or is cannibalism sort of freakish with this species?

My experience with other predatory inverts (mostly tarantulas and scorpions) is that even with supposedly communal species, cannibalism still happens with enough frequency that I still keep them individually.

Thanks!

Wade

Please bear in mind that all praying mantis can be cannibalistic regardless of species. I have yet to see my Texas Unicorn eating each other (when kept from L1 - subadult) but there was a case from Luke (Taiwan) where he witnessed a large nymph (maybe L2 nymph) devouring a smaller one (correct me if i am worng Luke). Although that appear to be the only time i heard cannibalism for this species, keep them in individual container Wade, in that case you are 100% sure they won't eat each other :D

I have L2/L3 Texas Unicorns and I have never seen any cannibalism.

I have seen the odd unicorn knocking another unicorn out of the way, but that's it.

How about Budwings? I have two pair coming, and I have a large mesh cage I was planning on using (24" tall, 21" or 14" in diameter) which I would like to use for them, if they won't eat each other.

I will provide copious amounts of food, since that should help

Hi Wade,

I kept my nymphs seperate. I ended up with three adult males and eight adult females. I have mated five of the females for sure and so far two of the males have been eaten. Not bad at all, I've got a number of oothecae, but not spectacular for a species that isn't supposed to be very cannibalistic.

Yen and Andy-

Thanks!

Orin-

Although I have them together now, I think I am going to split them up. IF they all make it to adulthood, and IF I get males and females AND if I actually suceed in breeding them, I will problay attempt some more serious communal rearing! However, that's a lot of "if's" and I think, for now, four mantids = four cages.

Thanks,

Wade

I taped saran wrap (two layers thick) across the middle of my aquarium, so that it's split into 3 seperate spaces.

I didn't feel like buying more tanks.

I taped saran wrap (two layers thick) across the middle of my aquarium, so that it's split into 3 seperate spaces. I didn't feel like buying more tanks.
That's a great idea! I'll have to borrow it!

Latest posts