Collecting yesterday with ABbuggin

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very fascinating indeed. So if the S. American species "invaded" through N. America, why weren't they able to sustain a population in N. America?
The Ice Ages wiped out most tropical fauna. At that point there weren't many tropical taxa left anyway, as tropical forests disappeared during the Miocene cooling. Those taxa with tropical relatives (Stagmomantis, Mantoida, Thesprotia, Brunneria etc.) re-invaded N-America later.

Also, you mention that T sinensis doesn't need diapause, so I'm "assuming" that angustipennis and/or aridifolia do.
No. I don't know about angustipennis, but aridifolia is a tropical species and doesn't need diapause.

And by several other species, do you mean species in the origin area of those three, or species in the same genus that aren't closely related?
The latter.

One more thing, do you think if speciation did occur, which one (if any of them) would have been the "main" species that the other ones branched off of?
Such a thing doesn't exist. The extant species have undergone all about the same time of evolution. The original taxon doesn't exist anymore.

The Ice Ages wiped out most tropical fauna. At that point there weren't many tropical taxa left anyway, as tropical forests disappeared during the Miocene cooling. Those taxa with tropical relatives (Stagmomantis, Mantoida, Thesprotia, Brunneria etc.) re-invaded N-America later.No. I don't know about angustipennis, but aridifolia is a tropical species and doesn't need diapause.

The latter.

Such a thing doesn't exist. The extant species have undergone all about the same time of evolution. The original taxon doesn't exist anymore.
Wow, okay. Thanks a lot for the information Christian. I wonder how you can determine how close the species are compared to others in the same genus.

Wow, okay. Thanks a lot for the information Christian. I wonder how you can determine how close the species are compared to others in the same genus.
You would have to genetically analyze them and the more similar gene markers they have, the more related they are. I'm not a geneticist so someone more familiar with it can go into more detail.

You would have to genetically analyze them and the more similar gene markers they have, the more related they are. I'm not a geneticist so someone more familiar with it can go into more detail.
Well...good thing I'm in a Genetics class. Too bad we haven't gotten in depth yet.

So Rick, when you go out for these "hunts" do you have a backpack filled with deli containers, and maybe a net? How do you prepare, what's your setup?

Well you would first need a full genome for both species. The current most common sequencing method is sanger sequencing, which uses ddNTP that is absent of hydroxyl groups on both the 2nd and 3rd carbon of the ribose to create varying DNA fragments in polymerase chain reactions. The ddNTP also generally have a radioactive marker so they can be sequenced properly as they migrate through a medium based on molecular weight (DNA is negatively charged and moves through a current and heavier molecules obviously migrate slower). There are a lot of next generation sequencers that are coming out that might get this done faster then the current sanger sequencing technique which can only look at one part of the sequence at a time, but you'd also need a lot of $$$ :p . If your interested you can google the Illumana sequencer which is a quite impressive display of the future potential of genetics. After sequencing you could compare the sequences for highly conserved areas which would actually be pretty plentiful across the board for all mantis species and probably a lot of other insects too (protein complexes, metabolic cycles, etc. are similar for quite a lot of animals). I suspect the major differences would be found within hox gene locations as these play a major role in the form of an animal and any similarities there would suggest close relation. However, as eukaryotes, mantids have quite a lot of "junk DNA" or introns (we actually don't really know if it's junk) that are excised from RNA before translation, so simple comparison of sequences may not be enough. This is why a lot of research involves turning gene expression on and off and seeing what happens in a life form. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

Latest posts