Crane fly eggs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OGIGA

Dead Leaf Mantis
Reaction score
I just caught a crane fly outside and fed it to my mantis. While being eaten, the crane fly laid a whole bunch of eggs! They look like tiny black grains of rice (long grain). Anyone have experience with dealing with crane fly eggs?

wait wait, crane flies aren't aquatic... if we're talking about the same things - those large thin-legged flies that you see on wet humid days that guys like to scare girls with (Tipulidae), the larvae are root feeders... in theory (haven't tried this) - sticking them in soil with a potato or some other root vegetable should grow them... but they take a while to mature...

I think we are talking aobut hte same thing maybe different sp. (I am in the US and you are in England) But I am positive the cranefly larvae I have caught were aquatic because they were sliding around on the bottom of the river...they look like giant fly maggots and are bottome feeders/predatos And they do take a long tome to mature...I think a couple of years!

AB

One more thing Ogiga...you are probably still fine if you put them in water...just make shure it is distilled. :D It may take them a little bit to hatch but I really dont know...google it. :p

AB

Hmm, well, the crane fly looked like this one:

crane%20fly.leatherjacket.jpg

Anyway, I'm just going to leave the eggs where the crane fly left them. If they hatch, that would be pretty cool.

Yeah thats the kind I am talking about....their larva stage is at the bottom of fresh water (not poluted...they are easily affected by polution) streams.

Anyway good luck and keep us posted. :p

AB

why the would you want to breed them?! I HATE THEM! Our hose gets full of them in the Autum and my Husky loves to chase them but they are just everywhere!

Im going to have a fat mantis in Autum.

I just gave my mantis another crane fly yesterday and it was filled with eggs! This time, I took the crane fly away from the mantis (after most of it was eaten) and got the eggs in the water. We'll see how it goes.

Yeah thats the kind I am talking about....their larva stage is at the bottom of fresh water (not poluted...they are easily affected by polution) streams.Anyway good luck and keep us posted. :p
It looks like there has been absolutely no activity and it's been a month. I guess no baby crane flies to play with.

Well just keep them in the water for a little longer...you never know. If you want the larva try looking in streams...especially ones with silt.

i don't know what's creepier - spiders or crane flies lol. something about their grossly long skinny legs just gives me the bejeebies :lol:

Latest posts