Creating the mantis keepers of tomorrow

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As fascinated as they are with mantids, they probably asked me just as many questions about the poop in the bottom of the cage!

I really want to take some mantids in some school =D The people here dunno about mantids...they don't care about insects...A lot of people asked me if they were herbivorous xD

A client of mine has asked me to bring some in to show to her 3rd graders.

But I don't know. I think they're like 8?

I 'd be worried they would all want to hold them. I'd feel bad and let them and either the mantis gets squashed or it's the first time one of my mantid's bites!

I was approached from a lady at work that has friends that go to schools and show animals (what kind, I don't know) to the kids. I might hook up with them and start showing some mantids and my chameleons. My godson is only 1, but I will be sharing my hobby with him as much as his parents allow. I will definitely be up for some show and tell when he starts school.

Last edited by a moderator:
A client of mine has asked me to bring some in to show to her 3rd graders.But I don't know. I think they're like 8?I 'd be worried they would all want to hold them. I'd feel bad and let them and either the mantis gets squashed or it's the first time one of my mantid's bites!
I let preschoolers handle them. You just need to explain to them that they need to keep their hands flat and let the bug walk across, it also helps to separate the kids into small groups so it's not a bum rush. I Chose a mellower species also , and a female so that I wouldn't have to worry about a male flying around and scaring them.

I've emailed a few schools in the area asking if they wanted me to bring some of my army in to meet the kids, funnily enough, no reply still. Bloomin english education system. ¬_¬

It's me without makeup!

(i'm an sfx artist so like to play dressup) 22

I really want to take some mantids in some school =D The people here dunno about mantids...they don't care about insects...A lot of people asked me if they were herbivorous xD
MY friend asked me what kind of fruit my Sibylla eats -_- :lol:

Are you going to do it often now?

Cool to see their drawing of different species too

I just dug these out of last years yearbook. I brought in my dead Creo and did some watercolor paintings with the same age group.I would have saved more of these but I had not joined the forum yet.

mantiswatercolorcrop_zps5d045198.jpg

What your doing with the kids is wonderful Brian! "All creatures great and small" is something I don't think little ones are taught enough in school...you go man.

I brought her in again today. I usually skate to work, but since she hasn't quite got the hang of ollies up curbs I thought I'd drive.

Safety first

CAM00308_zps6ff43f6e.jpg

And another finished product...

CAM00309_zps3cde0abe.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That first drawing you posted right beneath the girl drawing is almost synonymous with an architectural plan. Maybe a future architect in the making. :)

Ok, I had nothing to do with the creation of this, but I stumbled across it while doing some end of the year clean up. I thought you guys might appreciate it.

CAM00437_zpscdb747fc.jpg

Latest posts