HELLO!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SalsabeelAhmed

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I'm salsabeel, and that's how I get into the mantises world

I wasn't a fan of insects until I started studying entomology in the university which made me so curious about insect bahvior
And it was that time when I went on a walk to collect insects for my university insect pinning project when I found a pretty green mantis camouflaged within the leaves and didn't want to kill it in the freezer for the project so i took it and started caring after it as my pet..

I had fun observing him closely until the sad moment when it mismolts and severely deformed, it stayed alive for almost 2 weeks. During this time, I used to handfeed it and hold the prey for it becasuse it has deformed its fore legs used to catch the prey, I used to spend hours handling the prey until it finishes eating and wishing to get better and correct its deformed parts in the next molts but unfortunately it died 😔
I felt so sad and bad for it and blame myself and started to learn more and read about Mantises and mantis care and what it the reason behind mismolts, then on another hunt journey I got an adult female from outside which laid an ootheca and was so excited to see the newly hatched nymphs and care about them, again it was my fault not to know how to deal with the nymphs, I put them in ONE container and didn't find preys of appropriate size which lead to their death, ALL OF THEM

I was so disappointed and thinking I am such a failure and don't deserve to have any pet, and again I started to read and learn about baby mantises and surprisingly I found that my adult laid another ootheca, I kept watching videos about it until they hatched

I took around 7 mantises and put each in a separate container and let the rest of the nymphs in the garden
I made a fruitflies trap and started feeding them daily until one of them molted for the first time which made me thrilled and proud
now they've reached 5th instar and I am a happy mom💖💖

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

I wasn't a fan of insects until I started studying entomology in the university which made me so curious about insect bahvior
And it was that time when I went on a walk to collect insects for my university insect pinning project when I found a pretty green mantis camouflaged within the leaves and didn't want to kill it in the freezer for the project so i took it and started caring after it as my pet..

I had fun observing him closely until the sad moment when it mismolts and severely deformed, it stayed alive for almost 2 weeks. During this time, I used to handfeed it and hold the prey for it becasuse it has deformed its fore legs used to catch the prey, I used to spend hours handling the prey until it finishes eating and wishing to get better and correct its deformed parts in the next molts but unfortunately it died 😔
I felt so sad and bad for it and blame myself and started to learn more and read about Mantises and mantis care and what it the reason behind mismolts, then on another hunt journey I got an adult female from outside which laid an ootheca and was so excited to see the newly hatched nymphs and care about them, again it was my fault not to know how to deal with the nymphs, I put them in ONE container and didn't find preys of appropriate size which lead to their death, ALL OF THEM

I was so disappointed and thinking I am such a failure and don't deserve to have any pet, and again I started to read and learn about baby mantises and surprisingly I found that my adult laid another ootheca, I kept watching videos about it until they hatched

I took around 7 mantises and put each in a separate container and let the rest of the nymphs in the garden
I made a fruitflies trap and started feeding them daily until one of them molted for the first time which made me thrilled and proud
That’s so cool you’re taking entomology! Thank you for sharing your journey. You’re not a failure at all, now you have 7 babies who have reached the 5th instar! That’s a fantastic accomplishment, you got this. Sending you and your lil babies my best wishes!

Hello everyone,

Your journey sounds familiar! Good job

Latest posts