Creative Ideas for Cage

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Asa

Reaction score
Hi, I'd like some creative, cheap ideas for a cage for a couple L1 Giant Asian mantids that wuwu will be sending me. Photos please.

I have some but don't have pics. Like a jam jar(it has many different names) and i take out the seal circle in the middles and stretch nylons and screw the lid brim on around it.

i suggest those clear 10 oz. plastic cups with screen on top for ventilation. as they grow up, you can upgrade them to those 32 oz. deli containers.

toying with some ideas atm, getting hold of some polystyrene 'fish boxes' ( for moving livestock) which im thinking can easilly be cut into a rather smart mantis tank.. and even painted, easilly cleaned and stacked and are availible in many sizes! watch this space :)

Asa- don't know if you have Containers Stores in Va. but they have a

wide selection (size wise) of clear plastic boxes. The lids are made with

a circular depression already in them, so I cut that out with a Hitachi

2 1/2 inch circular keyhole saw ( I think that's what they are called) and then clean up that cut with a Dremel Moto Tool bit made especially for plastic. So, you've got about a 3" diameter hole in the lid. Then I use plastic window screen cut square to fit under the lid and I use a hot glue gun and glue it into place. And then I cut a feeder hole in one side with a Uni bit, and there you go. I have very small ones 3"x 2" x 2" for nymphs

and mantises up to L3 or L4, Then medium size 5"x 4" x 4" for L4 up to

L6, and finally larger ones 7"x 4" x 4" for L6 to adult. This provides good

ventilation, and they are pretty easy to clean. Will post pics soon.

Asa- forgot to mention, you can buy the exact same plastic boxes online

at tappplastics.com.

APart from well furnished glass tank for prize orchids and the like, most peopel seem to keep simple plastic jars or pots because they are both cheap and practical.

How about this.. :twisted: A 5gallon glass tank, half-filled with water. Floating on the surface you put two saucers (small plates), on one you put a bit of moss for the mantis, then on the other you put some crickets, so you have two floating islands... put a small bridge between the plates so that the crickets can venture across to the mantis' side if they dont feel ike taking a dip..

Thats about as creative as I get, unless you wanted to make a cool flouresant (?) tank, put in lots of those glow stick arranged as climbing structures, then lots of glow in the dark paint in cool patterns, and provide your mantid with a quick joint.

Thats about as creative as I get here. :roll:

Latest posts