Creative Ideas for Cage

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
APart from well furnished glass tank for prize orchids and the like, most peopel seem to keep simple plastic jars or pots because they are both cheap and practical. How about this.. :twisted: A 5gallon glass tank, half-filled with water. Floating on the surface you put two saucers (small plates), on one you put a bit of moss for the mantis, then on the other you put some crickets, so you have two floating islands... put a small bridge between the plates so that the crickets can venture across to the mantis' side if they dont feel ike taking a dip..

Thats about as creative as I get, unless you wanted to make a cool flouresant (?) tank, put in lots of those glow stick arranged as climbing structures, then lots of glow in the dark paint in cool patterns, and provide your mantid with a quick joint.

Thats about as creative as I get here. :roll:
Please be sensible. :lol:

he was ;) i have always wanted to make a 'hidden temple themed tank but i cant help but feel it would be a little wasted on a mantis :) maybe better for things like dart frogs ect, my boxes come on friday :D

I saw a brilliant cage design, it was very simply made and looked really effective, i shall be making loads of these in various sizes when i've got my shed, here goes.

2 Pieces of wood 6x6x1/2 inch, drill a hole close to each of the 8 corners that will fit a length of dowel in it. Length of dowels should be equal and will dictate the height, next make a sleeve of netting to fit or get some cheap tights or stockings, cut of the toe end so its a tube and stretch over the dowels, put the 2nd piece of wood on top and align the dowel ends into the holes and Roberts your mothers brother.

I think its an exellent design and can easily be made to any size you need.

It'll only mould if theres not enough air-flow, spraying every one to two days, you could have a thick wad of tissue or a slice of sponge sitting in the base to hold relative humidity a bit longer.

I haven't used this particular design yet but i dont have to to know that it will work, wood is easily gripped by mantid feet and so is netting.

What ever type of substrate you use is entirely up to you or perhaps the species being kept, or even if you use a substrate at all in a humidified room or case?

The point being that this type of cage is easily built with easy access, good grip for moulting mantids,easily sprayed, light, airy and breathable. It can also be built with many options in mind eg size, height, numbers and its cheap.

Perhaps not as good looking as a glass or plastic tank, but as effective.

Unsure if its the same thing or different, if it holds water it'll do the same job, i prefer not to use mosses because they are or could be taken from the wild, all you really need is plain old white tissue paper, it dosen't look as attractive as moss but it does as good as or a better job?

I believe sphagnum moss is protected in the uk?

I havnt got any created cages, i tend to modify or make do

Here is a modified tank:

100_8878.jpg

I dont think its the best thing for a mantis, they cant climb glass super well, especially heavy bodied types. It would be better with more netting on the sides and inside roof but it works.

The peat on the bottom was for humidity and falling dangers.

Its a bit to big in my opinion too. Could be divided.

Nice cage, Birdfly. I think heavy mantises can climb just fine. I have two adult mantises always walking on glass. I think I would use something like that to raise nymphs.

Hi, My Idolomantis and Plistospilota couldnt walk on metal with magnetic boots they are completely club footed, even my Rhombodera fusca were slipping, my Heirodula majuscula are half grown but can walk on it with some degree of elegance but i reckon as adults they might slip. Hence the peaty stuff on the bottom to help break the fall, i've also put more bark in the the tank to provide more suitable perching space.

Yes it should make a good hatchery, my female R fusca has layed in it, i will let her lay a few more then remove her and use it for hatching them i think.