Crickets

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libertine101

Reaction score
Hi all am new to this forum and to keeping mantids. Ive been feeding my mantis brown crickets and they have been feeding on cucumber. Was thinking of giving the crickets grapes for a change. Can anyone recommend other food types for my crickets?

Also chicken meal, dog meal, leafy greens, fruit (especially citrus), cereal.

They are typically omnivorous and will eat most things :)

You can't over feed them but giving them as much variety as possible will make them more nutritious. Also, remove any un-eaten food before it goes off.

I've been told to aviod oranges because they can give the crickets diarrhoea :huh:

Lots of people aviod feeding mantis on crickets because of bacteria/toxins that can kill them. Alternative foods include house flies, blue and green bottle flies along with any flying bugs you can catch.

Iv recently started using them again.i have 1 inch layer of weeterbix on the floor..i then chuck in about 4 half inch chunks of apple every day//

Would I need to put a little pot of water in with them?
no.They get all there moisture from the apple..as long as u make sure u throw in fresh apple every day as it drys out very fast..well in my room it does any way(80F)..up to you really..theres lots of ways you can do it..water also works..if your using water make sure u put something in the water bowl..i used cotton wall balls soaked in water..it gets messy tho so i started using apple now after robb batt advised me to do it that way//

Great advise thanks everyone. :) Ive just put a layer of crushed special k over the floor, had no weetabix but they contain oats, got some sliced grapes and cucumber in there as well and a bottle cap with cotton wool and water.

Great advise thanks everyone. :) Ive just put a layer of crushed special k over the floor, had no weetabix but they contain oats, got some sliced grapes and cucumber in there as well and a bottle cap with cotton wool and water.
lol..your crickets are in heavon.

I remember reading something about carrots too. Umm, something about feeding carrots to crickets will give mantises diarrhea? Yeah, try searching.

Did a search on carrots and its seems that you should never feed your feeders carrots as they contain a natural pesticide that helps the carrot to fight of fungi.

I have an idea. I should feed lots of carrots to some crickets and let them loose in my garage. Then, the black widows would eat them and get poisoned. Muahaha!

The orange and carrot thing about diarrhea is rubbish (as long as its not the only thing they eat) and so is the thing about carrots being a pesticide (although i did wonder about this myself at one time), my roaches eat carrot amongst other things and nothing dies from eating them including the roaches themselves and they are classed as pests in a lot of places, this also applys to crickets, locusts, woodlice, millipedes, mealworms, zoophobas worms, slugs & snails etc.

Keep crickets dry and warm with fresh water or fresh fruit n greens to get moisture from and a good all round diet and they positively thrive :)

Latest posts