Crickets?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arpooch

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering. Is feeding your praying mantis crickets ok? Because I have read that it is not. Thanks!

-Arpooch

Well i have never had a problem with it i don't get the pre-boxed crickets (a.k.a crix) i have herd that they can harvest harm full bacteria that could potentally harm the mants. so that is why i get the ones that are in a big tub and the worker at what ever pet store (usually petsmart) scoopes them out and puts them into a bag.

---- Mark

BTW what kind of mantis do you have?

Crickets are fine, but if you buy from your local pet store (ie: Petco or PetSmart), it's best to "quarantine" them for a few days to be sure they are alright. Those places tend not to take the best care of their stuff so they can be sickly. I got away from them just because I dislike crickets, but I used to use them with no problems.

Here we go again. Crickets are fine. However, they should come from a reputable source that offers healthy crickets. ONce you receive them you should offer them leafy greens, dry dog food, veggies, etc to ensure they are getting a healthy diet. When I need them I buy them by the hundreds and keep them in a rubbermaid tub with a bed of dry oatmeal as a substrate. They get a shallow dish with a sponge for water. If you do it right they are great feeders.

Latest posts