critter keeper cage ok for nympths

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asiandude

Reaction score
I am new at raising mantises and i have used deli cups for nympths but i was wondering if a critter keeper medium size plastic container is ok and if the holes on it are two big so if any of you guys can help me out i would really appreciate it. oh and im raising the chinese mantis.

Welcome to the site. Please check out the introductions forum.

IMO critter keepers are not good cages for small nymphs due to the fact that many of them have large ventilation holes in the lid which would allow the nymph or its food to escape.

Welcome to the site. Please check out the introductions forum. IMO critter keepers are not good cages for small nymphs due to the fact that many of them have large ventilation holes in the lid which would allow the nymph or its food to escape.
You could also use some mesh covering the holes so they can't escape.

could i use some kinf of fabric to put over it?
Sure, I used that as a substitute cap for my deli cups. I used a fluffy, cotton-like fabric just incase they wanted to molt. It prevents them from falling.

Critter Keepers are more for the large mantids. I kept my L5 chinese in there. It molted into an sub-adult and ended up on the bottom with a backwards leg because the lid doesn't provide a good grip for it. It molted into an adult just fine though.

Sure, I used that as a substitute cap for my deli cups. I used a fluffy, cotton-like fabric just incase they wanted to molt. It prevents them from falling.Critter Keepers are more for the large mantids. I kept my L5 chinese in there. It molted into an sub-adult and ended up on the bottom with a backwards leg because the lid doesn't provide a good grip for it. It molted into an adult just fine though.
ok thanks and I had one more question would a cut out piece of an old t-shirt work?

Most critter keeps have a domed lid which makes it somewhat of a pain to attach any kind of mesh or screen. There are better choices out there.

Or you can do the lazy/poor man's version of nymph proofing a critter keeper and using some clear scotch tape to cover the inside of the lid. My original mantis hatching cage was a critter keeper like that, and the only time I had any escapes was the one time I forgot to stuff a wad of paper towels in the crack in the one corner (yeh this was an old dinged up cage). I wouldn't suggest that set up for long term use though with nymphs though since the tape is slick it isn't the easiest for the babies to cling too. I used it to hatch my Chinese since I release most of the hatchlings within a day or so of emerging, only keeping a few as potential pets.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts