Culturing Moths?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mime454

Reaction score
Has anyone been successful culturing moths? I'm not look for big one, just medium sized ones, like the ones that form to the light every night. I want to start a culture so that I can feed them to my idolos when it cools down.

I don't culture them but I let waxworms pupate into moths for my Idolo. The YouTube vids make it look really easy to culture though, but it's not exactly quick.

How long do they take to pupate? And can you buy the pupa, or just worms? Do Petco stores sell them, because they seem like a viable option!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well when you buy the worms they are already fattened up and don't need to feed them at all. They pupate and turn to moths that also don't need to eat (their job is to mate and die). They are not a very active moth though, they need to be poked a lot to get them to fly.

Well when you buy the worms they are already fattened up and don't need to feed them at all. They pupate and turn to moths that also don't need to eat (their job is to mate and die). They are not a very active moth though, they need to be poked a lot to get them to fly.
I read they're active at night. so would you leave the pupa in the enclosure to hatch and fly around? Or store it until it hatches then transfer the moth?

Culturing waxworms at the moment, take an age between generations though, looking at 4 months to establish properly, but the lil guys love the catapillars and the moths, so easy pickings for the mantis. Easy to make the culturing medium too.

Latest posts