Custom Acrylic Mantis Housing

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got mine all set. Originally I was gunna put my Idolo in it but then I would have to glue sticks to the top, and it just seems wrong to modify such a perfect enclosure. So I put my special needs ghost that I've been hand feeding in there.

case.jpg

Thanks Mike, good stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got mine all set. Originally I was gunna put my Idolo in it but then I would have to glue sticks to the top, and it just seems wrong to modify such a perfect enclosure. So I put my special needs ghost that I've been hand feeding in there.

case.jpg

Thanks Mike, good stuff.
np. thanks for posting it! looks great. i can't see your ghost in there?

She's in there, she's just got a contorted body. Also she's green with brown wings so she blends in really well.

Those are very cool....I think good ventilation to aid in preventing mold and evaporating mist over spray is especially important for adults. So do you have to remove everything to clean out the housing and replace the bottom bedding? As well is the acrylic porous enough for the Mantids to crawl on?

Those are very cool....I think good ventilation to aid in preventing mold and evaporating mist over spray is especially important for adults. So do you have to remove everything to clean out the housing and replace the bottom bedding? As well is the acrylic porous enough for the Mantids to crawl on?
thanks. i agree. so far i've had no problems or signs of mold. i think double-ventilation allows the air to flow in and out nicely. the only time i clean them out is when there's too much feces and dead flies/wings on the bottom. i don't want any type of mite infestation. as far as the acrylic being porous enough, all the mantids seem to climb it w/out a problem. I haven't placed my idolos in them yet, but if i did, i'd probably glue some mesh directly on all the acrylic walls so they can move up and down.

hmm would love some of those the size of 32 oz deli cups but prob would cost a arm and a leg and prob dont take credit cards?

I had a person buy a $2,000 trio of dart frogs to then turn around and file a dispute with paypal and get their money back no matter what I did. I had proof through both fedex and the actual person that bought the frogs that they arrived, the problem is he used his wifes account and I had no proof that the she received the frogs, there are many ways for you to get screwed these days with paypal. I only use it for small stuff now.

These are so cool! Would it be cheaper to ship the acrylic and the buyer assembles at home?

I would love some because i hate keeping them all in my room. My mother always says the cages are too ugly, well these would show her! :D

These are so cool! Would it be cheaper to ship the acrylic and the buyer assembles at home?

I would love some because i hate keeping them all in my room. My mother always says the cages are too ugly, well these would show her! :D
yes, it'd be cheaper if you assemble it yourself. i can give you instructions and tell you what type of acrylic glue to use. I had the same issue w/ my gf. she thought the deli cups made our apartment look sloppy but now it looks much better and organized. now i have a nice display adjacent to our dining table lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, maybe i could buy glue off you :p and where can i buy this kind of glass, to try it myself? Like what kind of stores?

yes, it'd be cheaper if you assemble it yourself. i can give you instructions and tell you what type of acrylic glue to use. I had the same issue w/ my gf. she thought the deli cups made our apartment look sloppy but now it looks much better and organized. now i have a nice display adjacent to our dining table lol.
Oh, instructions would be so nice! ;)

I bet you have a great dinner converstation starter with guests, now! ;)

And... you can feed the mantids while guests are still eating! What a nice little community you'll have... Until the guests notice, of course. :p

Latest posts