Custom Acrylic Mantis Housing

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool!

Where is the opening/door?
There's no actual hinged door on it. You just lift the top. I glued acrylic rods along the edges so it doesn't slip off when it's on. I like them because they provide plenty of ventilation, they're translucent, and they look much cleaner than a deli cup. Right now i'm only displaying 3 mantids in my dining area with these cages. In my last residence, I had 12 containers next to the dining table before I realized it was too much. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no actual hinged door on it. You just lift the top. I glued acrylic rods along the edges so it doesn't slip off when it's on. I like them because they provide plenty of ventilation, they're translucent, and they look much cleaner than a deli cup. Right now i'm only displaying 3 mantids in my dining area with these cages. In my last residence, I had 12 containers next to the dining table before I realized it was too much. lol
Very cool! I like it that the lid is removable. Do you have instructions avaliable, or are those top-secret? ;)

What types of mantids are on display whilst meals are being enjoyed now?

Last edited by a moderator:
It's pretty straight forward. I had to draw each side of the prism on a CAD program and then laser cut them at school. Everything else is just gluing it together.

On display I have an adult female ghost, an L4 orchid mantis and an adult female oxyopsis gracilis.

It's pretty straight forward. I had to draw each side of the prism on a CAD program and then laser cut them at school. Everything else is just gluing it together.

On display I have an adult female ghost, an L4 orchid mantis and an adult female oxyopsis gracilis.
That is so cool!!! College or Highschool?

I'll have to take a required class of engineering, so I'll definately be looking into something that would let me design things like this! Mantid_mike, you are an inspiration! :)

That is so cool!!! College or Highschool?

I'll have to take a required class of engineering, so I'll definately be looking into something that would let me design things like this! Mantid_mike, you are an inspiration! :)
College. Thanks, I think you'll enjoy taking a couple classes to learn CAD. At the end of the day, it's just memorizing about 500 commands to draw whatever you want.

I just set mine up for an L2 Idolo, but I didn't want to ruin all of Mike's awesome handiwork...

So I built a cage.

CAM00406_zps864c05be.jpg

And dropped it in.

CAM00407_zps261718c4.jpg

Brian, that is effin awesome and innovative!!

I'm stealing that idea since I have dozens of basswood sticks to work with. :)

Oh my gosh, these are so amazing!! I totally want some of my own! I just use deli cups and old pretzel and cookie containers. I have one glass tank, but that has my scorpion in it now.

Latest posts