Custom Enclosure with Artificial Lighting

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wormholes556

Reaction score
So i am planning on building my own custom enclosure for my mantid(s), and was thinking of installing a low watt bulb,

I just wanted advice from anybody who has used any artificial lighting for their mantids. which are the best bulbs to use?

are UV lights ok? i assume that they would be seeing as the sun emits UV rays.

I am using led 6500k lights very low heat and work great you can get them on ebay for a cheap price with power supply

I just use regular compact fluorescents in desk lamps, and incandescents for my warmer species like idolos

they don't require UV to my knowledge. it may help develop color though.

Last edited by a moderator:
i use same as kloned and also use old uvb bulbs i have left over from my chameleons.

I generally use a fluorescent light for just that little extra heat. But if I need more heat, I use a halogen lamp. But almost any desk lamp will do fine. I don't know if there is any real proof of mantids needing UV light to stay healthy, but I feel like my mantids do better in the sun. I always make sure to keep them in a spot where they will get some sunlight during the day.

I generally use a fluorescent light for just that little extra heat. But if I need more heat, I use a halogen lamp. But almost any desk lamp will do fine. I don't know if there is any real proof of mantids needing UV light to stay healthy, but I feel like my mantids do better in the sun. I always make sure to keep them in a spot where they will get some sunlight during the day.
agreed about the light of the sun. not sure if it helps but mine seem happier with uvb bulbs.

Latest posts