D. desiccata fell during molt help!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glock34girl

Reaction score
Hey guys my dessicata fell while molting. Fell from top of 32.oz. lid. I noticed she was molting. Went out to my car to get something unrelated and came in to her in the ground. I got her out but couldn't get her to hang so I held the old skin and she molted in my hand and she acted like she still didnt want or couldn't hang. It took some doing and I finally got her to hang but her legs seem really sprawled out. Iam worried I could knock her off again if I try anything. I put her in a more shallow cup with moistenpaperyowels in case there is another fall. Everything seems functional but should I be worried about the spam of her legs?

She should be okay, but her legs if probably be messed up until the next molt. The same thing happened to one of my Mendicas, but it was fine after the next molt. She actually amputated one of the legs at the knee herself. Smart lady.

Okay. Relief that someone has had similar happen. She has been hanging since them, moving her raptorials and walking around the screen actually. I am reinforcing the top of her lid to make sure it wasn't an issue of her not being able to get a foot hold.

Many people have reported this happening, too, so you are definately not alone. You can see what other people said and did by searching key words in the search box found at the top right of the webpage.

Keep everything moist, hand-feed if necessary, hand-offer water in a spoon or by placing droplets on its mandibles, and keep a close eye on your mantis.

If she seems to be struggling, perhaps offer her a bit of honey for energy, antibacterial properties, and the trace minerals and vitamins in it.

She should be okay, but her legs if probably be messed up until the next molt. The same thing happened to one of my Mendicas, but it was fine after the next molt. She actually amputated one of the legs at the knee herself. Smart lady.
my lobata amputated her own leg also.. She gets along fine now.

This happened to me a few weeks ago with a female ghost molting to adult. I noticed she had fallen within a couple of minutes and hung her back up on a stick, she's completely fine now.

Thanks guys! I know I should use the search feature. Iam horrible about it. Was worried. It was really kinda cool to have her molt in my hands but obviously that is not what I'd want for her since its not good. I checked in her again before I left and she had switched positions and was hanging. Thanks for your guys' help.

Yeah she was hanging this morning too. She's always anxious to get out of her deli cup and hand out and she popped out and jammed around so I think she's good! I think it's a good thing I was there so quickly. This could have needed with a freezer.

Same thing happened to me but I was lucky she landed on top of the foam stopper in the side of my enclosure.Think this saved her from any problems to be honest .Caught her on her back ,gave her a nudge and she was back up on her branch.

Latest posts