Dedicated Caresheets? (Brainstorming)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Care sheets are always appropriate. No matter how uncommonly the species is kept. The trick to care sheets is to be succinct in your observations. Keep condensing your care sheet by half, then half again until it is no fluff, all data. We do it for scientific publications all the time, it's a great exercise.

I would do a care sheet on Idolomantis even though we did one already, it is very long and many pages. I've kept them in culture for over 2 years now and think I've mastered most if not every aspect of raising/breeding and incubating the ooths. But on the other hand not many people will be getting them so it may not be necessary to make one?

Any input?
Nick, I think it would still be helpful. You could start with the first page of the Idolo consolidated thread. Sporeworld was trying to keep that updated. However, there are a lot of tips throughout that thread that would be helpful to have in the caresheets. Even though I cleaned it up, it's still a lot to read through. Some of the photos from you and Precarious (especially housing) would be helpful to include for this species. I'd be willing to help but am not available to do so until May.

........I think these caresheets need a template to go by, something detailed, and something meant to teach with. Something we feel confortable linking to new hobbyists who have questions about a species. If you want single post breeding journals too so be it but a factual caresheet needs to be at the top of every species thread.
I'm with many of you with respect to using a categories-based template. It's nice to see a strong start on the caresheets so quickly, but we are getting a little disorganized with it already. Templates provide many benefits. They provide the contributor to the post with a set list of information that they must know before posting. If they can't fill out every section of the template, they probably shouldn't be contributing. A related point is that only people who have actually raised that particular mantis species through at least one generation (Adults, oothecae, nymphs) should be contributing to that care sheet.

Templates are easy for a future reader to understand because they are organized. If they are looking for a particular piece of information on, say, incubating oothecae, they can go right to that category on the template (rather than reading through 3 or more posts of content organized in 3 different ways by 3 different people).

After the template has been completed (or before, in some cases--since we already have some of this in the caresheets section), "approved" follow up posts can be added if they meet an as yet to be determined quality threshold. These would tend to be of the "personal and helpful anecdotes based on experience" variety, or perhaps offer care points that seem plausible but are alternative to the general consensus.

That said, the forum may need help with this because it is a big job. We may be interested in a volunteer or two to help with this. If anybody is feeling particularly motivated to step up, now would be a good time (privately, via PM please). You might be promoted to moderators within this section of the forum. I'm not sure if any of the admins have time to really monitor this in addition to the rest of the forum. The job would NOT require that you are an experienced breeder with any species, but only that you are willing to work with other members who want to contribute content and that you have a knack for knowing the difference between good content and all that, yes, "fluff".

An early step in this would be agreeing on a set list of care topics for the template. Kloned had a draft earlier in this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
At what point do we plan on editing the existing sheets to fall in line with the template? I also suggest we leave out any subjective information such as "this is a cool mantis", or "people keep this mantis because....."

I think templates in caresheets tend to force a bit of untested, untrue info such as Temps 27F daytime, 20F nighttime Humidity 45-55%

I understand some people prefer the illusion of false facts to the reality of factual husbandry parameters.

Rick: "this is a cool mantis" is subjective but "people keep this mantis because....." is not subjective most of the time unless it ends with your first statement.

Once we get the rules and template-outline done, the care sheets will be up for editing. I think we're almost there. This is a public thread. For that who don't know, Agent A and Jamurjfr have volunteered as care sheet section moderators.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone able to do a care sheet for Humbertiella Ceylonica? I could give some input into critical care of new nymphs. But I could really use some info on juveniles and adults. I am finding nothing. This is a species we plan to keep permanently, but I am lost on telling when they even hit adulthood as my mommas have no wings.

Anyone able to do a care sheet for Humbertiella Ceylonica? I could give some input into critical care of new nymphs. But I could really use some info on juveniles and adults. I am finding nothing. This is a species we plan to keep permanently, but I am lost on telling when they even hit adulthood as my mommas have no wings.
Here are two links with some information about Humbertiella care:

Caresheet 1

Caresheet 2

Does anyone have some good information on keeping Plistospilota guineensis aka "Mega mantis"? I ordered 3 and sadly one arrived dead...but I know it will be replaced. Just curious to know if there is anything specific on these. I am hoping to get a breeding pair out of them. 

Does anyone have a good caresheet for Tarachodula pantherina (Panther mantis)?

Ive got an ooth, and I’m just wondering what the basic heat/humidity requirements are do them. 

Thanks!

Anyone think a macromantis caresheet would be a good idea?

downloadfile.jpg

Just a suggestion, though not sure if it's possible for the admins to do- making the care sheets alphabetized would help find people find what they're looking for a bit faster, instead of having the topics organized by date of creation. Just a little suggestion!