DEFLATED!?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mantards

Reaction score
Help guys my Chinese mantis has molted and before the molt he was pretty deflated and now since he's bigger he's abdomen is so empty its pretty well kinked in half. He hangs upside down on the netting I have and his abdomen stays all bent over and kinked! I think he eats quite a bit though I'm trying to feed him more (about 2-3 small crickets per day). I spray the sides with water. what the heck?? He has always preferred to hang upside down just about all the time but now it's hard to look at him all bent up. :(

He's about 3-4 months old and has at least another molt or two before he's an adult ..if he makes it.

I've had this happen with a few in a hatch about a year ago, and many other people have reported it as well, no one had any answers on why it happens to some but not others from the same ooth, most did say the mantis eventually died but not all. 1 of the 4 I had lived and made it to adult but the others weren't as lucky, so it is common but doesn't always result in death. Wish I had better news for you but I thought I should share the info anyway.

This can cause death in some cases. I have a sub male with this same issue and have rescued a few in the past. The best thing to do is put them in an enclosure with all vertical perches. In other words, you don't want them hanging upside down all the time as that deepens the crease. If the crease gets too deep it blocks off their digestion and they die. So try to keep it vertical with its head upward as much as possible. Sometimes after a few feedings in this position the crease will almost go away.

It becomes most critical during molt. Because they rely on gravity to pull out of the skin there is the potential the crease will prevent the abdomen coming out, causing a mismolt or a fall while struggling to pull it out. Try your best to be present during molt in case this happens. Just lift the abdomen allowing it to shed properly. Of course you will have to move it to an enclosure with horizontal perches before the molt.

Hope this helps.

I should add, this happens because in nature mantids generally do not molt from a horizontal surface but rather an inclined surface, like a slanted branch. That places the weight of the abdomen on the core of the body, whereas a horizontal stance forces the abdomen to support its own weight. This unnatural stress can cause it to crease. An ideal enclosure would have grippable curved sides. I try to include slanted branches or an arched piece of fake vine and they seem to prefer them to something flat.

My mantids spend most of their time vertically and I think that's probably why I've never had this problem. However, I did see a wild mantid with this problem about a week ago. He was a subadult then, and shortly after he molted to adulthood like normal.

I should add, this happens because in nature mantids generally do not molt from a horizontal surface but rather an inclined surface, like a slanted branch. That places the weight of the abdomen on the core of the body, whereas a horizontal stance forces the abdomen to support its own weight. This unnatural stress can cause it to crease. An ideal enclosure would have grippable curved sides. I try to include slanted branches or an arched piece of fake vine and they seem to prefer them to something flat.
I'm wondering if one of the reasons I have had such great luck with this species and avoiding the floppy abdomens is my love for using the triangular/square net cages for when they shed. I find the incline rather ideal.

I'm wondering if one of the reasons I have had such great luck with this species and avoiding the floppy abdomens is my love for using the triangular/square net cages for when they shed. I find the incline rather ideal.
I would say that definitely helps. I often move my mantids to a more ideal enclosure before molt. Sometimes I put them on a branch shaped like a "Y" stuck in a piece of clay. This works great for species that have this issue.

Hello Mantards,

I currently have a Chinese mantis that is subadult that has the floppy abdomen. It seems to be healthy and well but I'm anxiously awaiting the final molt which should be any day now. I'll update you on how things turn out on the final molt.

Thanks Precarious for the information on horizontal surfaces and inclined surfaces. I'll be sure to make sure it has plenty of inclined surfaces to molt from.

Latest posts