Deroplatys lobata

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planetq

Reaction score
This is my first image post!

I was a little shy at first, but man.. I gotta share a snapshot of my new adult female D.lobata.

She turned into adult while I was gone for a snowboarding trip.

I came back, turned the lights on, noticed that she was significantly larger.

I take a look and what a surprise :)

These are taken with my iphone- sorry for the crappy quality..

IMG_0807.jpg

This is the happy(?) couple. Male on the left..

Hopefully something happens between the two in the future..

IMG_0809.jpg

The new adult female is so awesome-looking. Freakin' lovin' it.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been searching for someone selling this species at a decent price....needless to say im jealous ;)
Hopefully when they mate and if she lays an ooth I can get you some in a very cheep price. :)

Congrats, they are beautiful! ^_^
Thanks!

I have to say that I have no experience breeding these species- So any info/tip on mating the male and the female will be helpful.

I have read from a couple sources that the male can be finicky.

Any tip would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!

I have to say that I have no experience breeding these species- So any info/tip on mating the male and the female will be helpful.I have read from a couple sources that the male can be finicky.

Any tip would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
Congrats calarts! Trying to get Deroplatys sp. to mate can get on your nerves, especially Deroplatys lobata. Just follow Rick's guide on mating mantids, works for almost all mantids as far as I know. Only problem for D.lobata that we encounter is the difficulty of trying get the male to notice the female. This won't be an issue if your female is active and moves around in front of the male a lot. If the male still doesn't notice the female even if she's moving around a lot, then he's just not ready yet.

If the male is on top of the female, you might have to wait quite a bit for them to connect. That's the second problem we face with D.lobata.

Here's a couple of photos I just took of our male on top of one of our females. My brother just got the male to notice the female and he's on top of her as I post this. Our two other females are terribly inactive and the male won't even look at them. This one is particularly active.

lobata1.jpg

lobata2.jpg

Now we wait for them to connect and that might take a while!

Great photos of a great species! I personally like D. lobata more than D. desiccata. Feminine lines and a better mimic, I think! (though smaller)

Sorry to hijack your thread calarts but after nearly 4 hours, they connected.

lobata3.jpg

No Way! can't believe they connected! Did u use glue?
Haha no we didn't ;) , just tried as per normal, didn't expect him to climb on her as soon as he spotted her. Wish us luck on this, it's one of my favorite species.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the happy(?) couple. Male on the left..Hopefully something happens between the two in the future..

IMG_0809.jpg

The new adult female is so awesome-looking. Freakin' lovin' it.

Cheers!
Congrate Minkyu! Sufistic has pointed out some issues dealing with breeding this species so keep them in large encliosure with plenty of leaves and sticks for the male to sneak up on the female. The male will follow the female for a while before making the move so lot of hiding spot is recommended before he becomes the meal. Let the lady has lot of food before putting them together and the only thing left is pray. :)
Haha our male's a stud.Thanks!
haha what do you feed all your male mantis with Shaik ;) i want the recipe :lol: I also have some D. lobata from the new generation from the one collected from Cameron highland and have one stud male too he was the 'Tiger Wood' but as good as he is one of the female got him by the end, not by trashing the window with the 'iron' but far worst! :lol:

haha what do you feed all your male mantis with Shaik ;) i want the recipe :lol: I also have some D. lobata from the new generation from the one collected from Cameron highland and have one stud male too he was the 'Tiger Wood' but as good as he is one of the female got him by the end, not by trashing the window with the 'iron' but far worst! :lol:
Thanks Yen, I dunno what's going on but our males are all really performing. I'm guessing it's probably just mating season or something. Also, the heat is probably making all of them horny. I don't feed them anything special other than some wild-caught butterflies when we have the time to catch those. Sorry to hear about your male. Are you intending to breed D. lobata again bro? I hope you are!

Thanks Yen, I dunno what's going on but our males are all really performing. I'm guessing it's probably just mating season or something. Also, the heat is probably making all of them horny. I don't feed them anything special other than some wild-caught butterflies when we have the time to catch those. Sorry to hear about your male. Are you intending to breed D. lobata again bro? I hope you are!
Yes i can only hope this current batch can carry on for another generation but there are breeders here with this species so hopefully we can see continue to see them here. I would love to have your 'stud' though :D but it is the best he is being kept there with you :)

Yes i can only hope this current batch can carry on for another generation but there are breeders here with this species so hopefully we can see continue to see them here. I would love to have your 'stud' though :D but it is the best he is being kept there with you :)
Once he's mated with all our females, I'm pretty sure my brother (he's taking care of the Deroplatys sp.) would be willing to send the male to you in a heartbeat bro. Just say the word.

Wow, thanks Yen and Sufistic-

I will try my best to breed them. This is my first time so there are no guarantees..

But I will try to use my intuition and be as sensitive and discreet as possible to their behaviors as I can.

Thanks again! :)

Wow, thanks Yen and Sufistic-I will try my best to breed them. This is my first time so there are no guarantees..

But I will try to use my intuition and be as sensitive and discreet as possible to their behaviors as I can.

Thanks again! :)
Interesting that you should mention intuition bro. I use that a lot too. If you face any issues with these, you can always ask Yen (I refer to him a lot). Good luck on breeding them!

Latest posts