Deroplatys lobata

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting that you should mention intuition bro. I use that a lot too. If you face any issues with these, you can always ask Yen (I refer to him a lot). Good luck on breeding them!
Yeah man.. I think intuitive observation is one of the most important assets in mantis rearing..

It's like how the Dog Whisperer is always trying to think of the dog's inner motivations haha.

You gotta really see and read the mantis' behavior and needs. If they are moving restlessly because they are unhappy with the temperature or if they are thirsty, what their favorite feeder insect is, are they gonna molt soon.. Also if your presence is bothering them (This one gets in the way a lot)..

It's like trying to decipher why the baby is crying.. is he hungry? did he poo? is he cranky because it's nap time.. etc

haha

...it's a great hobby.

Yeah man.. I think intuitive observation is one of the most important assets in mantis rearing..It's like how the Dog Whisperer is always trying to think of the dog's inner motivations haha.

You gotta really see and read the mantis' behavior and needs. If they are moving restlessly because they are unhappy with the temperature or if they are thirsty, what their favorite feeder insect is, are they gonna molt soon.. Also if your presence is bothering them (This one gets in the way a lot)..

It's like trying to decipher why the baby is crying.. is he hungry? did he poo? is he cranky because it's nap time.. etc

haha

...it's a great hobby.
I like your style.

Yeah man.. I think intuitive observation is one of the most important assets in mantis rearing..It's like how the Dog Whisperer is always trying to think of the dog's inner motivations haha.

haha

...it's a great hobby.
+2
yes.gif

Soo-

I finally got the male to hop on the female!

The first time I tried to mate them, the male noticed the female,

but when he made the jump-move he ended up squeezing the female's abdomen pretty hard-

It freaked out the female (she was doing a threat pose, looking around .. kinda like she was searching for what she was threatening)

and it also freaked me out a little because it really looked like he was squeezing her abdomen hard

so I separated them.

Thankfully when I checked VERY THOROUGHLY (haha almost half panicking) the female's abdomen was fine.. no wounds.. FEW!

After a few hours I gave them another go, and this time the male got it.

he is on her back right now, trying to 'seal the deal'.

But his 'end' is having a hard time searching for the 'other end'.

These are terrible pictures, I know, but I really don't want to disturb them right now..

taken with my iphone (thus the quality)

deroplatys_c_01.jpg

deroplatys_c_02.jpg

He is still searching-

Sufistic your post about your male taking 4 hours to connect does encourage me. haha

Let's see how long it takes for him to 'make the connection'. haha ;)

That's fantastic calarts! They'll connect eventually. Add in some crickets in their enclosure so that the female will be distracted and willing. I wish you all the best!

Hah- thanks guys-

Do you think I should just let them be and go to bed...(cause it's late now)

..or should I keep a close watch on them?

I feel like I should always be checking..

Hah- thanks guys-Do you think I should just let them be and go to bed...(cause it's late now)

..or should I keep a close watch on them?

I feel like I should always be checking..
If they're in a big enclosure with some food in it, we'd usually just leave them be. I'd check up like once in two hours to see whether they've connected or not though.

Congrats calarts! The female looks kinda thin and well capable of going after the male when he dismounts. You have some food for them in there?

May she lay you lots of ooths!

Thanks guys!

there is one cricket in that enclosure, but for some reason everytime it passes them by, the female just strikes it to shoo it away.

I am a little concerned too, about the female maybe not being 'full'.

I need to buy some more crickets...

Thanks guys!there is one cricket in that enclosure, but for some reason everytime it passes them by, the female just strikes it to shoo it away.

I am a little concerned too, about the female maybe not being 'full'.

I need to buy some more crickets...
Well at least she knows there's another critter in there other than the one on her back! Good luck calarts!

Well thought I should just hijack this thread instead of start a new one.

An ooth laid by a wild-caught female unpaired in captivity hatched out 83 nymphs today.

P1050585-1.jpg

P1050584.jpg

Latest posts