Deroplatys lobata

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D. lobata is very strange mantid to play with :)

When i breed this species (~2007 or so), only one from 5 males got lucky.

Females can eat 3-4 males straight, and males are shy like virgins:>

I hope, truncatas are easier to breed.. i keep couple of pairs together without problems.

We will see.

And what about D. trigonodera? :)

D. lobata is very strange mantid to play with :) When i breed this species (~2007 or so), only one from 5 males got lucky.

Females can eat 3-4 males straight, and males are shy like virgins:>

I hope, truncatas are easier to breed.. i keep couple of pairs together without problems.

We will see.

And what about D. trigonodera? :)
Very true drizzt, lobatas have very unique temperament, or maybe it's just the whole Deroplatys family. About the trigonoderas, I don't really know anything about them but I'm aiming to get those probably when I visit Tapah Hills again.

Very true drizzt, lobatas have very unique temperament, or maybe it's just the whole Deroplatys family. About the trigonoderas, I don't really know anything about them but I'm aiming to get those probably when I visit Tapah Hills again.
+1 to what my brother said drizzt. Some breeders say that D. truncata is more difficult than D. lobata when it comes to breeding. We're not really sure though because our mantids seem to do alright so far.

+1 to what my brother said drizzt. Some breeders say that D. truncata is more difficult than D. lobata when it comes to breeding. We're not really sure though because our mantids seem to do alright so far.
What about Asiadodis and Choeradodis?

My czech friend haved many of them, but all his efforts failed.

Adults were not interested in each other..

What about Asiadodis and Choeradodis?My czech friend haved many of them, but all his efforts failed.

Adults were not interested in each other..
Oh I've always wanted those, how bout setting me up with your friend? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is quite a big bump for this thread, but it is relevant as I just got my D. lobatas to successfully connect. I'll post pictures soon, but here are some behaviors I noticed.

Not all D. lobata females are aggressive. I have two females and one male, their names are Angus, Gnarles and Leather Rebel. LR is the male. Angus is a sweetie, while Gnarles can be quite jumpy and aggressive. Neither did a threat display even though I tried to coax one out of them, Angus is near impossible to anger though.

Still, I took no chances and I fed Angus several crickets. Yesterday I fed three, today I fed one more right as the male hopped on her. I found it was much easier to get them to mate in the day time than at night, at night the male had no attention whatsoever and the female didn't move much. When he did notice her he got frightened and flew away to the nearest light source - my computer monitor. Today I used the same trick when getting H. membranacea to mate. I put the male on my keyboard and a roll of paper towels in front of him, and coaxed the female to climb up the paper towels. The male noticed her eventually and focused his attention on her.

One thing I noticed is that it's not immediately clear what sort of attention the male is giving to the female. In many species the male narrows his antennae and points it straight at the female, while in this case Leather Rebel did not do that right away. He narrowed his antennae, but not quickly and it wasn't noticeable until after they connected when he returned his antennae to a more normal state.

When the male first mounts the female, he focuses in on the tip of her abdomen, as if he were trying to catch a bug and he strikes his forearms. It looks like he is grabbing her tightly but he is not. He is just holding on for dear life, and he does this first to gauge how aggressive the female is. Over about a half hour he will turn around and it took about one hour to connect.

Every so often I'll hear a sort of buzzing sound, or rapid clicking sound. This is the male doing a "tapping" motion on her back, similar to what Orchids do but shorter. I never saw this behavior in mantises before in person though.

The only thing I am not sure of is how long they should be connected for the mating to be successful. They have been connected for about a half-hour. I know Angus to be a very still mantis and Leather Rebel to be quite flighty and active, so I am leaving them on the paper towel in my room under observation. Hopefully when they are done, LR can fly off to the nearest light source, hopefully land somewhere where I can find him. As for Angus, I once went to bed and rested my eyes with Angus on my desk. I fell asleep accidentally and woke up 6 AM the next morning. She was at the same location. I didn't even bother moving her right then, was too tired to get out of bed, so I slept more.

I have photos, I can upload them later. I actually didn't notice at first that this thread was in "Mantid Photos" instead of "Breeding..."

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts