Devil's flower mantis questions

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Koshmar

Reaction score
Hi, I use to be on this forum in the past and I inquired about orchid mantis care. Now I live with my friend and we are getting a devil's flower mantis. I've got a few questions:

What would be the proper enclosure size for a nymph (unknown instar)

What would be the optimum food source?

I didn't use a search feature b/c we don't have internet yet, this is all on my phone. If anyone could direct me to this information else where in the forum, I'd appreciate it. Don't worry, we're both competent people that have cared for delicate animals before.

Is it B. Mendica or I diabolica, because the two are polar opposites and I. Diabolica is not for beginners. B. Mendica is from the desert, SO NO SPRAYING while I. Diabolica is a rainforest mantis and needs high humidity. In general, a mantis' enclosure should be three times its length in height and 2 times its length. The bigger the enclosure, the more food needs to be put in. ;)

Yup that is basically it for the enclosure cept make sure if its I diabolica, put several rough branches at the top.... now for most/all flower mantids, flies are a main food for them; and bees and butterflies and moths...

Koshmar: If by the name you indicated, you mean Blepharopsis mendica, it is a do-able thing to raise successfully by the care instructions that are available. There is also a huge thread that would enable ou to try with an Idolomantis diabolica, but it is not for beginners. I had a difficult time when I tried last year. There are those on this forum that are quite expert at it. One of those being Angelofdeath. Tammy Wolfe, one of the moderators is good with B. mendica. So you have plenty of help here either way. For you I hope it is B. mendica that you are going for.

Thanks a bunch everyone, my friend and roommate just bought it from the mantisplace.com so we know that it is an I. diabolica. It should be arriving either Wednesday or Thursday. I'll search the forum for that thread later today when I have access to a computer unless someone can link me there. I'll give updates when we get it.

Latest posts