Diapause for an ooth.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolMantid

Reaction score
Can I put a mantis ooth in a 30 F degree fridge for there diapause period? Or will it freeze them to death?

If not I will leave it out in the garage.

one Limbata and one European. Does it matter?
Cold does not cause diapause in any mantis ootheca. I wrote a long blurb on this four weeks ago. You didn't read it, did you? And so we get the same questions over and over again. Still, you are only twelve so I'll cut you some slack. Go here: http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=23139&st=0&p=175345&hl=photoperiod&fromsearch=1entry175345 and read post #9. You'll love it! :D If there is a bit that is unclear, please let us know in this thread.

I kinda doubt that you know what diapause is. NO ooth in the cold of a fridge or outside is in diapause.

If your mantids are from the US, they need the cold period. Even the ooths of US mantids will hatch at room temperature, so the answer is a definite yes to the first question and a qualified yes to the second. You did't follow that link I gave you, did you? :)

I did, but I decided to stick to my question. Thanks. THis is what diapause is- Its is a cool period that make the eggs in the ooth develop slower and take a longer time, they do this to survive through winter or a resting period for the eggs. Thanks. I did learn from this. :)

the only prob is the ooths will hatch sooner then that depending on how long they been kept cold beforehand and you should prepare for this!

Im prepared. I have a 5 gallon arranged tank for the european(because of the higher amount of nymphs) and 2.5 gallon tank for the S. Limbata. I mist it multiple times a day. Heat usually stays at 75 degrees F and drops at night to 66-69 degrees F. How much longer should I wait from here.

I did, but I decided to stick to my question. Thanks. THis is what diapause is- Its is a cool period that make the eggs in the ooth develop slower and take a longer time, they do this to survive through winter or a resting period for the eggs. Thanks. I did learn from this. :)
I'm sure that you are a good lad, Hertarem, but your definition of ooth diapause is completely wrong. I am very impressed by the fact that altough I posted on this a month ago, not one member has seen fit to correct you. :D

Edit: The post I made on this topic was aimed at HS graduates. This member is in grade school. Can't someone explain diapause to him?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll take a crack at this.

Hertarem: I think what Phil is trying to say (please correct me if I'm wrong Phil!) is that you are confusing the general definition of insect diapause (the definition Hertarem offered) with the process that occurs with some mantid oothecas. When a mantid species ootheca is cooled for an extended period, it actually *halts* the diapause process! Obviously this is much different than the common misconception that your cool fridge temps starts it. Thus the extended period of cold temperatures trigger the halt of the diapause process and facilitates the proper development of the nymphs.

Im not in grade shcool!? Im in middle shcool.Im a strait A+ student. All I asked was for a simple answer. But saying that I am to young to know is 1) Completely off topic 2) Somewhat rude 3)Not answering my question. Thank you Lunarstorm for answering my question, Thank you. Oh, and Phil if your trying to tell me Im to young to be in this hobby that is wrong. If what you meant was different from this let me know. I'll keep you updated.

I'm sure that you are a good lad, Hertarem, but your definition of ooth diapause is completely wrong. I am very impressed by the fact that altough I posted on this a month ago, not one member has seen fit to correct you. :D

Edit: The post I made on this topic was aimed at HS graduates. This member is in grade school. Can't someone explain diapause to him?
phil, calling hertarem a grade school idiot does not solve anything. you should apologize.

Gripen: The only person who used the term "grade school idiot" is you.

And no, Hartarem, it is not irrelevant. Last year, I coached a HS freshman through Biology. The teacher used a college level text (this was an accelerated course) but it still took a week to study what a college student would be expected to master between one class and the next, so, although you were completely wrong, your error is understandable, particularly since so many adults have trouble with this counterintuitive issue. Lunarstorm did great, but you might wonder why only one species in culture uses this strategy and why other European mantids do not. I came to this thread to complete this very interesting discussion, but I am now wondering if that is what you want to hear. I'll check again tomorrow. If you want to hear the rest, let me know on this thread.

Latest posts