Did the Moth kill my Creo?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadow98684

Reaction score
So I fed Eggsecutor a huge moth a couple days ago. He ate that baby until he got his fill and dropped it. This moth was like his size or bigger. The Creo (Eggsecutor) was a full grown male adult with wings. (I assume he was male because of his petite size). Then yesterday, he starts getting red eyes, and ignoring his water. Then today, I find him hanging from a twig, dead as a doornob. Do Creos not live very long? I had him from like March till now, July. Or do you think the moth was toxic or something? Maybe the moth's wings were deadly or something?

R.I.P. Eggsecutor March 2013-July 2013

creo.jpg

I'm assuming it was old age. Adult males do not have a very long life.

Edit: Just an assumption

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of moth was it? Some are not good to eat for some reason. He may have not clued in and been poisoned?

Some insects contain toxins because of the plants they eat - like tansy moths and caterpillars.

Maybe contact agent A, he knows a lot about moths and rears many species. He may be able to id it for you.

Males typically do not live long for any species.

being u have had him from march, I would say he died of old age

if he was poisoned his legs would likely be folded

I could try to ID the moth if u want but I doubt a moth could kill a mantis on its own

old age was what i was thinking too. but i thought they lived up to a year? for instance, my chinese lasted from march 2012 to october 2012, my multispina lasted march 2012 all the way to February 2013. so, i'm guessing creos are a short lived species?

that moth is tore up. it would be hard to ID anyway

damn. last time i get that species lol...my ghost i got at the same time is still kickin' and he still doesn't even have wings...how long do ghosts live?

My boy Creo, Voodoo did not live that long either. 6months from nymph to adult. It seems the boys from this species tend to live on the shorter side. Males in general tend to have shorter lives than their female counterparts but in some species the differences can be more pronounced. Like like yours, Voodoo's eyes darkened before he passed. I've seen it with some mantises that pass from old age. Their body starts to go and there eyes darken normally for night vision but then don't lighten up the next morning. Yours sounds very much like old age to me versus any sort of issue with the food.

Latest posts