different sources for housefly, bb and gb pupae

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frogparty

Reaction score
I know there is one sponsor here that sells them, but I interested in comparing the quality of different peoples offerings. Where does everyone order their flies from? feel free to pm me if you don't want to post it.

Cheers!

No secret mystery here. Since you are in Cal, try Chuck at SpiderPharm, just across the state border for HF pupae. Ive been using him for years.He'll explain how many you get per gram weight.

I buy bb maggots from Grubco.com. I find that is the most economical choice. Maggots last up to 2 months refrigerated while pupae only last a few weeks at most.

precarious, do you have to feed the maggots while refrigerated?
Nope. They come ready to pupate so fully loaded with food.

Here's a brief rundown I posted elsewhere...

General info for everyone:

I buy maggots 1,000 at a time from Grubco.com. Comes out to about 20 shipped. Maggots last up to 2 months refrigerated. Pupae last less than 2 weeks.

I leave about 250 out to pupate (usually withing 24 hours) in a shoebox sized enclosure with a screen lid. Then its 8-10 days before they hatch.

Once they hatch allow them to feed a few days. I keep water crystals and fly food in there. Sprinkle some fresh food each day.

Then I keep them refrigerated. Put the whole container in the fridge. That way they are always docile and ready to go. They last a very long time that way. If your going to keep them over a long period give them a day out of the fridge to eat and drink about once a week.

I take the next batch of maggots out to pupate once the first batch starts to hatch. That's the timing that works for me. May be different for you depending on how many you hatch vs how many you go through in 10-12 days.

Hmmm my woman is incredibly understanding of the frog room/ escaped fruit flies/ etc, but Im really not sure how she'd react to a perpetual fly container in the fridge...HAHAH! Guess we'll soon find out how awesome she really is

This helps alot. Thanks for the info guys. I wondered if there was anything special i needed to do to get the spikes to pupate, then to hatch. Now i know....

So lets see if i have it:

So keep maggots in fridge so they dont pupate

Take them out to pupate....10 days to hatch( dont put back n fridge)

Once they hatch feed and water for a few days.

Place back in fridge giving them a day out per week.

Well if the mantid collection gets as bad as the frog collection I might just buy one of those, but Id probably get one just a bit bigger so I could also stash at least a 6 pack in the frog room. Then all Id need was one more tv and cable box up there, lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. They come ready to pupate so fully loaded with food.

Here's a brief rundown I posted elsewhere...

General info for everyone:

I buy maggots 1,000 at a time from Grubco.com. Comes out to about 20 shipped. Maggots last up to 2 months refrigerated. Pupae last less than 2 weeks.

I leave about 250 out to pupate (usually withing 24 hours) in a shoebox sized enclosure with a screen lid. Then its 8-10 days before they hatch.

Once they hatch allow them to feed a few days. I keep water crystals and fly food in there. Sprinkle some fresh food each day.

Then I keep them refrigerated. Put the whole container in the fridge. That way they are always docile and ready to go. They last a very long time that way. If your going to keep them over a long period give them a day out of the fridge to eat and drink about once a week.

I take the next batch of maggots out to pupate once the first batch starts to hatch. That's the timing that works for me. May be different for you depending on how many you hatch vs how many you go through in 10-12 days.
This all sounds good, I am going to try your way.

I have buying the pupae and they dont last very long at all.

Even after a week I only get about 50% hatch rate!!

Try raising your fridge temp a few degrees. I do the pupae and sucessfully hatch 90% up to 3 weeks later. I even had a small cup of pupae hatch in the fridge, which was disgusting, as I didnt notice for several days. Talk about a cramped smelly mess!

Try raising your fridge temp a few degrees. I do the pupae and sucessfully hatch 90% up to 3 weeks later. I even had a small cup of pupae hatch in the fridge, which was disgusting, as I didnt notice for several days. Talk about a cramped smelly mess!
Oh! I thought it was better to NOT have the fridge so cold!!??

I had it originaly turned up the the coldest setting and was told that was too

cold for them. So I turned my fridge back to the "default" setting which gives me 45F.

Latest posts