Dipping Sauce...?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sporeworld

Reaction score
Now, I know this is gonna sound gross, but I want to look at a kind of "dipping sauce" for by Ble Bottle flies. I feed them to my Slurm Queen Idol, and I'm thinking I can probably make them more appealing and more nutritious.

I currently dip them in water to boost the moisture content, but I COULD dip them in honey/water mixture. Or even squashed up Superworms, like hummus on a pita.

Any thoughts...?

ok, while I can give you a great dipping sauce idea, how about gutloading them better?

btw, how do you gutload yours?

for my chameleons, I don't just gutload my BB flys with just some silly sugar and powdered milk. no sir.

I do a mixture of yogurt, honey, crushed up cereal (adult healthy stuff, not fruitloops). as a result, my flys are loaded with calcium that they need. vitamins too. and must taste great as they goble them up.

I guess you could always dust them with bee polin or honey powder. :unsure:

Harry

I'm feeding them with "Yen's Blend" poweder from MantisPlace, water and occassional watered-down honey. Maybe that's all I need, huh...? Does anyone think there's any elements in a wild caught bee or moth (or male Idol) that are essential or benficial...?

Just feed them honey. That's all they need. You can buy different kinds of honey to give a variety.

Some of the cricket boosters are a shake n' bake type powder rather than a gut load (or the same product does both).

Could you try a method like that? That is, a dry rub instead of an au jus?

I am not recommending the cricket powders specifically, just the basic idea.

You could dust them in bee pollen...I do that for my creos from time to time...just grab a wing while they're knocked out from the freezer, dip 'em in the powder & throw them in with the mantid.

Could also try things like Spirulina...it's supposed to be great for roaches. :eek:

-Carey Kurtz-

I'm feeding them with "Yen's Blend" poweder from MantisPlace, water and occassional watered-down honey. Maybe that's all I need, huh...? Does anyone think there's any elements in a wild caught bee or moth (or male Idol) that are essential or benficial...?
Depending on how long they've been foraging when you catch them, bees can be carrying a lot of pollen. The nectar in their crop will provide your mantids with a quick sugar boost, too.

Latest posts