Disgusting cricket molt

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricardo

Reaction score
I just bought some small sized crickets from petland and I'm disgusted.

I've never seen a cricket molt but two molted into huge ugly sickening crickets.

Marble white and big. I wanted to cry.

I'd never seen it happen before. I took the cricket out of mantid enclosure. So gross.

WHy do they become large white crickets when they molt?

If you got THAT dramatic with a cricket molting, just wait until you see a mantis molt. lol! :lol:

If you got THAT dramatic with a cricket molting, just wait until you see a mantis molt. lol! :lol:
mantids molt beautifully I've seen it. Crickets just disturb me always have. that white sickly creature emerging. ungh makes me shiver.

mantids just come out even more beautiful then ever.

Ah I see I see.. I guess different things gross people out in different ways. Crickets will be light in color until they dry up, then they'll get nice and dark and look like a regular cricket again for you. Give it a few hours :)

Ah I see I see.. I guess different things gross people out in different ways. Crickets will be light in color until they dry up, then they'll get nice and dark and look like a regular cricket again for you. Give it a few hours :)
man I freaked out at the monstrosity, all huge and white. to big for my mantid now that's for sure

Ha! That's funny! The crickets won't stay white for long. By tomorrow they'll be dark as kitkat said. Roaches are the same way. Crazy white color right after a molt.

Strangest post ever. It will be dark colored the next day.

I caught an Orangehead roach during its molt to adulthood yesterday...strangest thing ever! I had to run with egg crate in hand to show Hubby! (He said, "weird", then went back to his Fallout 3 game. :p )

It was all white & only half-emerged from the dark skin, with wrinkled up wings & black eyes on the white head...I should've taken a pic...crazy! :blink:

-Carey Kurtz-

I caught an Orangehead roach during its molt to adulthood yesterday...strangest thing ever! I had to run with egg crate in hand to show Hubby! (He said, "weird", then went back to his Fallout 3 game. :p )

It was all white & only half-emerged from the dark skin, with wrinkled up wings & black eyes on the white head...I should've taken a pic...crazy! :blink:

-Carey Kurtz-
Interesting, I didn't know any roaches had wings, what did you do with it?

A large part of learning how to raise mantids is learning how to best manage their food. One of the few problems with crickets is that if you buy three weeks' supply of pinheads when they are just the right size for your mantids, they will molt and double their size about once a week, so that at the end of the three weeks, yr mantis may have molted once and become a bit larger, but the crix will now be eight times their original size. Ouch! After that their growth slows somewhat, but after five more weeks they will be four times larger. I don't usually import images from the web, but since every one else seems to use this one, here we go:

cricketchart.jpg

Latest posts