Does this Ootheca look dead?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh boy! looks good, they dont eat the first day to 2 days, but need water in am and again in pm,
laugh.gif
lucky you!

I woke up this morning and approx 30 or more came out, take a look. There are a bunch on the lid which I can't take a picture of. The first batch doesn't seem to want to eat the flies I put in? what do you think?

IMG_0176.jpg
Got it, thank you!

3rd day of hatching a few more came out, thought it was done and almost through away...

I spray my ootheca everyday but it is still rock solid and it does not grow in size at all?(I have had it for 1 month)

Here is a pic of 3rd day hatching. My other Ootheca has no action after 3 weeks.

IMG_0177.jpg

ghost, the ooths themselves don't grow. what conditions do you have yours in? and congratulations, bud. and don't spray everyday.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's day 5 and they are still coming out. Is there a way to tell when they are done hatching, nothing came out yesterday and almost through away the egg again.

IMG_0179.jpg

The ooth is hang upside down actually, but it will still hatch no problem (as shown in your pic) as long as there is enough space. i usually prefer to hang the ootheca higher (at least 4 inches above the bottom of the cage) with the oothecae seam facing down. Good lulck witht he Chinese nymphs.

Yeah I was thinking the ooth should be higher so they can dangle without hitting the bottom. As Yen said you also should tilt it more where the area they are coming out is pointing more towards the ground. Strange to see a chinese ooth hatch over a period of days.

Yeah I was thinking the ooth should be higher so they can dangle without hitting the bottom. As Yen said you also should tilt it more where the area they are coming out is pointing more towards the ground. Strange to see a chinese ooth hatch over a period of days.
Yeah, I can't tell if they are done. I'll just keep the egg in the jar.

You guy's are right about how the egg is placed. I turned my 2nd egg around and pointed the seem down and today it hatched as well!

IMG_0180.jpg

The posistion had nothing to do with the hatching! And they can come out for about a week, so Don't throw it out, a lot of people keep them for collections too. Some on here later wish they kept theirs for the collection toooooooooo
tongue.gif

The posistion had nothing to do with the hatching! And they can come out for about a week, so Don't throw it out, a lot of people keep them for collections too. Some on here later wish they kept theirs for the collection toooooooooo
tongue.gif
Thanks! I'll keep it.

That second pic is technically upside down though it doesn't much matter. Good hatch on that one.

Wow the second hatch looks great. Itake it that one didn't have parasites. What conditions were they kept in? Because I have a question for those who've kept this species (dang near everyone): how long does it take for them to hatch when in incubated? I've had them for a month now and they sil haven't hatched. I keep the humidity at 30% and the temps from 70 to the high 80's fahrenheit. Ineed them to hatch by next month, so I'm thinking about buying more.

I think just regular room temp conditions for them to hatch and had them hatch once with just room temp and low to hardly any humidity. I am trying another method as I bought 5 chinese mantis ooths and placed them outside to hatch normally but to help keep birds from getting at them placed them glued to some pieces of wood in the back inside of a plastic shoe box and removed the lid and have it supported in a tomato cage so the ooths are facing downward and letting the nymphs fall naturally on the leaves below the box and just going to keep it simple like this!

Wow the second hatch looks great. Itake it that one didn't have parasites. What conditions were they kept in? Because I have a question for those who've kept this species (dang near everyone): how long does it take for them to hatch when in incubated? I've had them for a month now and they sil haven't hatched. I keep the humidity at 30% and the temps from 70 to the high 80's fahrenheit. Ineed them to hatch by next month, so I'm thinking about buying more.
Depends. If kept warm from the time it is laid it usually takes from 6-8 weeks or maybe a bit less. I've found them outside in the winter and brought them in and they hatched within a month or so.

I'm new at this and thought they were dead, I was wrong. I kept them in my house at room temp 70-80 degrees. I mist them every couple days. 1st egg hatched in 4 weeks, second egg hatched the 5th week. Hang in there, they will hatch! Let us know.

I thank the members who gave me advise!

Latest posts