Drosophila melanogaster "Wingless"

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happy1892

Reaction score
I think Josh's Frogs media makes the fruit flies big!

6974569_orig.jpg

7345822_orig.jpg

8418326_orig.jpg

This is a culture.

816142_orig.jpg

8712306_orig.jpg

5443378_orig.jpg

6282463_orig.jpg

6904174_orig.jpg

5027457_orig.jpg

No fair! My petco only has D. Hydei! Awesome pics though! It is really cool to see them up close.

We all need to be careful when we buy cultures from PetCo. The ones that I have looked at have sometimes been spent and the people there do not know much about the cultures other than what day of the week they arrive. I look very carefully inside the jar to see if the culture is on the rise or has it been there and done that. They are pricey, but if you are lucky enough to get a good culture, you are ok!

The Petco in Minnesota doesn't carry any fruitflies. When I ran out once, I called several reptile and pet stores, and some of the people who answered the phone didn't even know what I was talking about. I last bought cultures in the summer and have kept my own going from those cultures.

Almost a decade of experience adding up to well over 1000 fruit fly cultures. As the nutrients run out stunted flies are the norm. In the frog hobby we keep old cultures around on purpose to provide young froglets with small food items besides springtails. I can link you a bunch of literature. Stunted fruit flies are great because they are easier to dust with calcium/vitamin powder than springtails

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, and the same priciple applies to house flies. The easiest way to provide small HFs is to provide them with less food than you give them for normal sized flies. Chuck at Spiderpharm routinely does this for his 'slings.

u know, they do look kind of.. delicious.

The number of times I've seen fruitflies get eaten is really getting to my brains..

If you observe flies in the wild, you can notice, every once in a while, a huge fly going about and bumping into the others of his species. They are intimidating and more of a nuisance than anything else, if you are trying to trap them. Who knows how such a fly can be so large in comparison with the others of his apparent species, but they seem to be like some people, they do not get it all from heredity. Perhaps they eat more than others of the same hatching. Diet obviously makes up some of the difference where heredity leaves off. If the environment is the same as with other flies, and their heredity is a lock from the numbers of flies showing the exact same traits, then that leaves diet to be the main influence and that is not something one fly passes on the it's next generation. As this diet become less nutritiously advantages, then the positive effects of it are diminished and size can be one thing we see diminish.

this is exactly why fruit fly formulas designed to provide a nutritious fly as a feeder produce larger and more flies than a simple media designed to just produce flies in a lab for genetic research. For example, the carolina ff media cant come close to comparing to repashy, power mix etc.

this is exactly why fruit fly formulas designed to provide a nutritious fly as a feeder produce larger and more flies than a simple media designed to just produce flies in a lab for genetic research. For example, the carolina ff media cant come close to comparing to repashy, power mix etc.
I just got repashy! I thought it would make normal sized fruit flies!

Latest posts