earwigs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engraver30

Reaction score
I have a ton of earwigs beetles running around my yard. Does anyone see a problem with feeding some of them to my Chinese mantids?

Thanks

I wouldn't feed them earwigs. One time, when my mantises were little nymphs, I got an earwig and chopped it to pieces so it wouldn't be so big. However, no mantis would eat it. Maybe it gives off a warning scent? I also tried putting an earwig in with a spider and the spider wouldn't attack the earwig too. The earwig can attack pretty harshly with the pincher.

I wouldn't feed them earwigs. One time, when my mantises were little nymphs, I got an earwig and chopped it to pieces so it wouldn't be so big. However, no mantis would eat it. Maybe it gives off a warning scent? I also tried putting an earwig in with a spider and the spider wouldn't attack the earwig too. The earwig can attack pretty harshly with the pincher.
Perhaps because it was dead? I wouldn't feed the earwigs to the mantids unless it was older (the mantid)

They'll eat dead things if they taste the juices and they like it. I fed them a lot of fruit flies with crushed heads.

You can feed them about any insect you want. If the mantis can't or won't eat it they will drop it.

You can feed them about any insect you want. If the mantis can't or won't eat it they will drop it.
I had a mantis whip a pillbug away from himself when the pillbug tried to close on him! It was kind of funny. :p

Ogiga,

I just can't get the picture out of my mind of you crushing fruit fly heads!! You have skills I won't even attempt!!!!!!!! Perhaps you are a surgeon in real life?

Nick Barta

Haha... I'm sure I'm not the only one who did that. Anyway, I get one fruit fly on a piece of paper on my desk and crush its head with a toothpick. Initially, I just wanted to crush it anywhere, but I always seem to get the head and red juices go everywhere.

Yeah, OGIGA, why did you do that
I did that to feed nymphs that didn't have that much as much of an appetite. Yes, I know... time consuming like crazy.

Haha... I'm sure I'm not the only one who did that. Anyway, I get one fruit fly on a piece of paper on my desk and crush its head with a toothpick. Initially, I just wanted to crush it anywhere, but I always seem to get the head and red juices go everywhere.
Yeah, OGIGA, why did you do that
I did that to feed nymphs that didn't have that much as much of an appetite. Yes, I know... time consuming like crazy.
I still don't understand. If there is food in their cage, and they are hungry, they will eat.

I had a mantis whip a pillbug away from himself when the pillbug tried to close on him! It was kind of funny. :p
lol

Interesting... I thought mantids only ate things that moved!
mantids only eat things that taste good. one of the signs that something might taste good is if it moves like something that might taste good, i.e. a living thing. if the mantis somehow skips that moving step and jumps directly to taste, and it tastes good, then it's game!

Latest posts