Empusa mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yen_saw

Forum Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I couldn't find the previous link for this species so created a new one.

Both of my Empusa pennata male matured into adult 3 weeks after a one-month cooler period (with short daylight hour). They moulted twice in 3-week span but females are not buying it and remain the same stage as before the cooling (which is two molts behind). Guess in the future i need to extend the cold period to at least two months for a possible simultanous growth to adulthood. What a bummer....

am3.jpg

am1.jpg

am2.jpg

this is why im after the devil mantis..i love there antennas ,amazing mantid

Last edited by a moderator:
The first picture reminded me of my Gongylus male. I rarely see this mantis as adult, so it was good that you post pictures! Thanks.

Thanks!

Caught the female moulting into subadult moment ago so took some pics, and even a short clip. She is the second one to moult into subadult.

molt1.jpg

molt2.jpg

molt3.jpg

and while waiting for her to moult i took some pics of the other subadult female, she is gorgeous!

subf1.jpg

subf3.jpg

subf2.jpg

and took a crappy pic of the mantis on next cage too - a pair of Arizona unicorn right before they mate

mate3.jpg

and by the time i got back she has almost done :)

subf4.jpg

molt4.jpg

here is the short movie clip ;) sorry i didn't make it upside down so you have to turn your head 90 deg left :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
the other female, looks like she is at a disco party, how are they doing? Do u have males?
THey doing great Becky :) yes i have two adult males, so time to speed up the female :)

Why do the last few pictures look like the mantis is three or four times the size of the original skin?
Well the fact that a mantis "swell up" a lot right after molting and that the wrinkling shed appear smaller make both looks very different in size.

This is definitely E. fasciata!

Empusa pennata doesn't have these Lobes on the Coxas of the first Walking-leg-pair.

Wonderful ones you have there! My E. pennatas from Portugal are still frozen ;)

I'm from Germany, so pardon for my (probably) bad english.

best regards, Felix

Where are they from? If they are from W Europe, it's clearly pennata. I can't see the lobes very well from this perspective.

Thea are from Poland (his Homepage says so), so it has to be fasciata ;) :p

The lobes are well-seen on this picture: Link

best regards, Felix aka Fischeversenker

Sorry i think it is misleading on my webpage regarding the location where this species is from. The specimen was traded by a person (Kamil - papilio) from Poland who mentioned to me that this species was collected at Montenegro, Spain. Now Christian i remember you told me E. fasciata can only be found on the Eastern Europe, E. Italy to India to be exact. While E. pennata exists only to the West of Europe (Spain including). Anyway, whether this sepcies exist in Spain or there is a mix up from the collector, it appear that this is Empusa fasciata.

This is the lobe pattern for the adult male on the coxa of the middle leg, the lobe on the coxa hind leg is also visible on the first pic.

am8.jpg

am9.jpg

zoom in (MJ, wished i have your camera :D )

am10.jpg

Although it is just a subadult female speciemn, the lobe size is quite apparent so based on A. Kaltenbach key this should be Empusa fasciata.

subf9.jpg

zoom in

subf12.jpg

and this one too

subf10.jpg

A. Kaltenbach

empusa.jpg

ANother guideline for different empusa species received from Jose

fasciata1.jpg

I don't trust the words of your trader :p --> again: fasciata.

Good Luck with them. ;)

best regards, Felix

Just to clarify - we do not have Empusa species in Poland - the only species capable of surviving in our conditions is Mantis religiosa, but it is an extremely rare thing to witness it in the wild.