Energy Efficient Problem!!!!"

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drolkp84

Reaction score
I have a 2 ghost & 1indian flower ooth I'm trying to hatch but the wife likes to keep the house cool (68F) what's a good energy efficient way to incubate my ooths? TV doesn't give off much heat & I have 4 little ones...all ideas are much appreciated.

Just get a heating lamp. It won't cost or pollute that much. If you absolutely can't, put them on your dryer? I know the ghost ooth will hatch fine at room temperature. Not sure about the other species.

If you don't want to deal with electrical find a small warm spot. A closet is usually perfect. Because of the limited room and insulation created by the clothes it can usually stay warmer in there than the rest of the house.

these are low wattage but high heat options. Probably better to raise mantids than to incubate ooths since ooths can dry out easily. heat cable on a thermostat, heat tape on a thermostat, human heat pad on a thermostat, a low wattage light with maybe an alluminum foil backdrop. Either way make sure that you have a thermometer the measure temps, and the THERMOSTAT is very VERY important otherwise you're going to cook your babies.

both those ooths should hatch fine at room temp, they will just hatch quicker if you keep them a bit warmer. And knowing your room temp is 68, they might take longer than average lol.

EDIT: how the heck is your wife keeping room temps of 68F in Florida?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know my satelite box from direct tv is hot wether on or off, top of fridge or freezer, sometimes hot water tank top, or in my house, if you set somethingby the hot water pipes it also heats up the sauce bottles, my laundry room has wire shelves and the pipes are showing along the back of one set and my sauce get really warm like pasta sauce, gotta try to keep my bottles away from the pipes.

The heat mats sold for warming seedlings are wonderful for gently warming terrariums and they are usually much cheaper than pet store heat pads. Thermostats too.

Try your local garden center, farm store or hydroponics stores.

I have a little acrylic fish (betta) tank with a night light bulb in the hood. Just enough heat to keep my ghost cozy. Under tank heat takes over after lights off.

Found a free solution... l decide to place the ooths in a vehicle I no longer drive in the daytime. I've done it in the past & its worked like a charm. Cant believe it took me so long to remember that. But I bring them in before the temperatures drop each night.

Found a free solution... l decide to place the ooths in a vehicle I no longer drive in the daytime. I've done it in the past & its worked like a charm. Cant believe it took me so long to remember that. But I bring them in before the temperatures drop each night.
It will most likely get way too hot in a car... unless the windows are open.

Are you in Florida?

The way the temps go up and down here, I would think that the embryos will get confused if they are outdoors and not native.

Worked perfectly fine with a ghost ooth I a got from davedood...hatched over 20 nymphs.

Do you keep the windows open? Is the car in a garage or something?

I was more concerned about the oothecae roasting in the car.

I wouldn't want inexperienced keepers to think that they can just put oothecae in a car and hatch them, as in many cases it can get way over the temperature that is required for oothecae to hatch.

Animals, and children, are killed all the time when people leave them in cars.

Sooo true I totally agree. It was an old work van & the back windows would pop out slightly. I'd open them every once in awhile but with the temps they hatched in about a week tops. I misted daily. What works for one doesn't work for all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad that it worked for you and your nymphs. :)

I guess things can turn out differently depending on the time of year or the conditions.

Do you get cold in your house at 68 degrees? I am always in trouble when I turn the temps up around here. :shifty:

A girlfriend of mine keeps her house cold like that and I have to remember to bundle up when I visit her home.

I grab a blanket when my living room is at 75 degrees, but the vent blows right at my spot. lol

Latest posts