Exo Terra Nano Setup

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deathlok

Reaction score
Hey guys! :D I've got a few questions about an exo terra nano setup I intend to build. I want to put live plants in it. Sensitive plants would be REALLY cool in there. Any suggestions on those? I'm not too sure about what to put in. I also want springtails and isopods in there, maybe even a train or bumblebee millipede. What species would be compatible? Should I use any special lighting? Is compost mixed with Coco Fiber okay for a mantis? (horse manure, goat poop, hay in a pile) What type of mantis should I put inside of it? I'm relatively new to mantids, this'll be my first. I'm thinking of an orchid, ghost, or dead leaf. All help is appreciated, thanks guys! :D

Orchids are not for beginners, and unless the nymph is older than l5 will be too small to be in the nano, but I recommend using only coco fiber and not adding fertilizers/compost in solid from, as this can rot and cause problems. Also millipedes require more humidity than the mantis needs, and can cause problems with keeping both happy. Springtails and isopods should be fine (unless the mantis views them as food). And as for plants no clue xD

Thanks, I intended to just keep the nymph in deli cups until it would be fine in the Nano. I was thinking the same thing about the compost. I really want to incorporate some live ferns. Any other cool beginner species you think would do well in that kind of setup?

I would recommend ghost or creobroter because the other species in ur list are not beginner species. For all the stuff u are listing you may want a bit bigger exoterra than nano

I would highly recommend setting a vivarium. If you had the time and resources, I think its a great way to enjoy seeing your mantis in a more natural habitat. You can see the one I set up below for my orchid mantis, which isn't in there when I took this shot but will be in there soon.

It's not hard to set up a vivarium once you understand what you need (substrate/plants/lighting). Just a word of caution as live vivariums can be more humid than normal, so if your mantis likes dryer environments, it might not appreciate the added moisture.

Latest posts