Eye coloring

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wojnarl

Reaction score
I'm new at keeping mantids. Purchased a "green mantid" recently (the lady in the store was unable to provide me with the name of the exact species). Suspect it is an indian mantid. Only had "Sticky" for a week now. He has already shed and eaten a cricket.

My observation:

Last night his normally green eyes (with a small brown bit) became completely brown, like two complete brown domes. This morning, they are back to being green again.

What happened? Is this something I should be worried about?

Les

No, they just adapt to light conditions, darkening when the lights darkening, well thats what ive read

already done a thread on this before..

2223360334_f498c941ca_b.jpg

2174882698_d6e43b7202_b.jpg

2237535724_55804a02a2_o.jpg

2192488929_bb969b8dfc_b.jpg

2067654815_df813409da_b.jpg

2093130895_807ccef58f_b.jpg

2172344225_0451c0b365_b.jpg

2239850586_0bfd12f4e5_o.jpg

Nice comparisons, dont you have that great one of one with one eye dark the other light?

The eyes darkening to adjust for light looks like an obvious answer but does anybody know or even have a theory about why they darken at night? I wonder what the sight difference is for them when they darken. Are they blocking light or seeing different light rays than they normally would during the day when the darken? Anybody know how they darken their eyes? I wonder how they do it, what's going on at a microscopic level. Maybe you'd have to be a mantis to answer some of those questions :blink: . Pretty cool bug stuff.

The eyes darkening to adjust for light looks like an obvious answer but does anybody know or even have a theory about why they darken at night? I wonder what the sight difference is for them when they darken. Are they blocking light or seeing different light rays than they normally would during the day when the darken? Anybody know how they darken their eyes? I wonder how they do it, what's going on at a microscopic level. Maybe you'd have to be a mantis to answer some of those questions :blink: . Pretty cool bug stuff.
There are a couple members here that can answer that question.

That'd be cool and hope they post. It does make sense that the 2, maybe 3 questions I'm wondering about would have been looked into before.

Ha, cool! It looks like it's been abused. Wait, wait, your story is that it "fell" <_< , right? :D Everybody has some nice pics.

Latest posts