Favorite mantids

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Harpagomantis tricolor, was my favorite,  i regret letting them slip away lol.

I can't just pick 1 favorite... How about top 3???

Ghost for sure.. Never met a Ghost that didn't like me... (knock on wood)

Orchids... So much bang for your buck... Pretty and loves attention...

S.viridis Giant African... Powerful hunting beast... always count on double fisted feedings!

But my honorable mentions....P.wahlii Spiny Flower, Loves to show off, but can be feisty & show off at times &  H.major boxer.. Sweet, such an awesome personality, loves air boxing...

Some of you who answered.. cheated... you didn't explain why????

:p Guilty. Deroplatys desiccata because it is large (8-9 cm), slow moving, really 'hits' when it grabs prey, has a very cryptic look (esp for a large species), is long living, and despite being very aggressive towards prey is nearly communal.

I also think Blepharopsis mendica is up there. They're more athletic and aggressive than people think, and as long as the temps are high they'll reproduce like rats!

I can't choose 1 favourite that's just impossible!  

Species I have: 

1. Sphodromantis sp. - as some ppl above said I also love big, green and friendly mantids :)  Also easy to care for!

2. Prohierodula laticollis - super fun species, extremely active, friendly and those colours! I mean blue eyes who wouldn't love that :D  plus I like when they are afraid (they don't like my boyfriend for some reason), they flatten and crawl behind something lol. 

3. Deroplatys sp. - big and so cool looking - those big shields and eyes! Also love the faking dead display lol and their very fluid movements. Mostly they are very friendly and like to hang out on my hands which is sweet. 

But I love all my mantids! Special place for Popa spurcas I think they are underaprecciated. Yeah they are not very action-y but I find them extremely cute and that stick camouflage is neat. I find them more fun than ghosts, those just hang there showing me their butts lol. Also fussy with eating.

Fav. species I don't have are 

1. Toxodera sp. especially T. Beieri for their super weird looks and their mysteriousness and fragility. They remind me of how wonderful nature is and that it should be protected. 

2. Choeradodis - need I say more? :D

But my honorable mentions....P.wahlii Spiny Flower, Loves to show off, but can be feisty & show off at times &  H.major boxer.. Sweet, such an awesome personality, loves air boxing...

==========================================================================================

Air boxing.  That's the term!!  My newly-acquired Taumantis sigiana (never had this sp. b4), do this consistently after munching down dinner.  I've raised a number of different species, but never experienced this phenomenon so frequently.  Maybe it's a little workout to burn calories  ^_^ .

Last edited by a moderator:
My favorite, the only ones I will buy, because of their size are rhombedera mageara, polyspilota guineensis, hieradula membranacea, and Idolomantis diobolica. Those 4 are the only pets I will keep.

I haven't had much experience with mantids but my favorite from what I have owned so far are the double hex and of course the ghosts.  I do look forward to one day having an orchid and a giant shield.

Appearance wise Prohierodula picta (anyone know a common name for this species?) are my favorite. My girl is absolutely beautiful, not as flashy as some species, but still so pretty. I'm also really enjoying my ghost mantis, she is very calm. I'm not sure if that has more to do with her species or just how she personally is. My orchid mantis is another favorite as far as appearance, but she/he is incredibly flighty. I also love my Rhombodera extensicollis, large, green, and puppy dog tame. She is the sweetest insect ever, I adore her.

Last edited by a moderator:
Appearance wise Prohierodula picta (anyone know a common name for this species?) are my favorite.

Doesn't appear to have a common name after some searching, and isn't a common species either in captivity. Seems to be primarily a species kept in Europe, and many keepers are unable to breed them (read here, and here).

Doesn't appear to have a common name after some searching, and isn't a common species either in captivity. Seems to be primarily a species kept in Europe, and many keepers are unable to breed them (read here, and here).
Thanks for the links! I think I've come across those in my researching of this species before. :)  It's a shame they're not more commonly kept in the US, I'd love a few more nymphs since my female has matured. 

Thanks for the links! I think I've come across those in my researching of this species before. :)  It's a shame they're not more commonly kept in the US, I'd love a few more nymphs since my female has matured. 
Your welcome, it wasn't much. Indeed there are many species that can be found abroad that I can only wish to try here in the US. If you want to see some really unique species have a look at the BugzUK site. ;)

Appearance wise Prohierodula picta (anyone know a common name for this species?) are my favorite. My girl is absolutely beautiful, not as flashy as some species, but still so pretty. I'm also really enjoying my ghost mantis, she is very calm. I'm not sure if that has more to do with her species or just how she personally is. My orchid mantis is another favorite as far as appearance, but she/he is incredibly flighty. I also love my Rhombodera extensicollis, large, green, and puppy dog tame. She is the sweetest insect ever, I adore her.
Must get pictas! I have prohierodula laticollis and they are so awesome, one of the best species I think,  I wanna see how picas compare! I have rhombodera basalis and they are little twitchy bitches lol but I love them. 

Must get pictas! I have prohierodula laticollis and they are so awesome, one of the best species I think,  I wanna see how picas compare! I have rhombodera basalis and they are little twitchy bitches lol but I love them. 
I have been looking for another picta for myself, but haven't had any luck! :(  

I started with Creobroter gemmatus, common name is jewelled flower mantis I believe (used to using the original latin names of inverts), they were easy to raise and keep. A bit skittish in contact, but amazing colours. Easy to feed as well, from fruit flies to maggots, to bluebottles, a cricket once a month or so, and sometimes dubia. Not very active hunters though, rather relying on camouflage. 

I got my first pair of T.sinensis this week, wow!Incredible hunters. The female literally dropped herself on the fly!

Also keep a pair of P.paradoxa, l3. They don't do much, but when they move, they look adorably drunk :p. Not scared of me at all :)

Latest posts