Feeding Mantises, Pre-shipment

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Clausen

Reaction score
I just thought I'd post a quick partial-response to a note a recent customer placed in my breeder feedback thread. They indicated it wasn't a complaint, but I feel compelled to explain a few things that many people who don't ship hundreds of bugs every month may not know.

Plump mantises are more inclined to molt during shipping (and in general), so I ship thinner ones. Unless they are L1 nymphs (which I don't sell anyway), I don't advocate including live foods with them because these can interfere with a mantis that may attempt to molt in transit. This is less critical with express shipments than priority shipments. Unless you are paying very close attention to each individual mantis you keep, it is statistically probable that one of 7 mantises you are shipping will molt in any given 3 day period (the duration of priority mail shipments).

Finally, a customer should be prepared for arrival with the appropriate foods. Besides, there is nothing like watching your new predator do what it does best!

On a related note, I have seen a lot of people lining the bottom of 32 ounce shipping containers with paper towel (in shipments I've received). This is not nearly as good a shipping method as pinching the paper towel between the container and its lid. The liner on the bottom is usually moist and ends up coming off the bottom and suffocating or drowning mantises as the box is turned over and over during transit.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's a lot of great advice to people who will someday ship some babies in the future. I'm sure many can post a few more, but I'm glad that you at least posted this.

what some people new to the hobbie don't realise about shipping bugs is that the ways of doing things all have a reason for doing so. they may not be perfect, but the ways you discribe are far better then the alternatives. I have followed many of your ways and others with great sucess. sure a few didn't make it, but 98% did...and all the ones that didn't make it were because of bad weather and priority.

I have even last winter refused to send a few shipments due to "ultra bad weather" and the fact that the person would NOT pay for express shipping. there is nothing wrong with priority delivery in good to poor weather, but when you are expecting 10" of snow and a friday or saturday delivery date, then yeah, I'll take a loss on the sale then hope that they even get the package...never mind live delivery.

also I have learned in the reptile traide that not everyone follows the same rules and even the best can and will do things differently...even so different that I don't like it. but that's the way the world goes around.

Harry

I to use the tissue on top of lid, much better chance of survival with towel being held in place, some people glue it, I don't only because I go green with everything, all insect cups get washed, bleached and reused here or for anyone ordering an ooth, I glue the ooth for them most times on the washed and bleached cloth lid and goes in a reused cup. Does not always go that way, but I spend a lot of time washing things each week, I hate waste.

I to use the tissue on top of lid, much better chance of survival with towel being held in place, some people glue it, I don't only because I go green with everything, all insect cups get washed, bleached and reused here or for anyone ordering an ooth, I glue the ooth for them most times on the washed and bleached cloth lid and goes in a reused cup. Does not always go that way, but I spend a lot of time washing things each week, I hate waste.
yay! rebaca is green! that will give me an excuse to buy from you more often :clap:

thanks! I hate washing so much, me back hurts when standing at s,ink, but the fruit fly culture is the worse, must first scrape old stuff out, then rinse them and let sit for a bit to soften all the crud, then rinse again and place pop lids between all the cups and soak in bleach water, the slop sink is almost never empty here. when I put this sink in, I did away with the second tub, boy I miss it now. boo hoo hoo

I use wide mouth glass jars for my fruit flies. When done I put them in the freezer for a few hours, then run hot water over the bottom of the jar for a minute, and all the crud pops right out of he jar. Then it's a quick rinse and into the dishwasher. I use coffee filters held down by the lid ring for lids. I have fewer mite issues than when I used the plastic with fabric lids

I like the glass jar idea for fruit flies. Hadn't considered that.

Interesting approach to send the slender guys (especially if you KNOW they fed recently, and aren't malnourished). Even reduces the likelihood of their own feces creating issues during shipping.

I've had (and sadly sent) my share of poorly packed mantids - especially Idolos, as they can't walk up plastic or glass. I've had securely hot-glued sponges come off in transit (what a ride it must have had). Even a single branch or stone or dead body (food of friend) can become a lethal projectile, when bouncing around loose in a shipping enclosure. Sorry, little guys. :-(

Love to see a sticky one day of some forum-approved examples. We had a thread some time ago (I remember Yen's method in particular). My favorite for nymphs that have a respectable grip, is good old-fashioned styrofoam cups with papertowel lids. Had many a L1-L3 ghost molt IN transit flawlessly with that approach.

I love the glass jars because they can get used over and over and over...been on the same jars for 3 years now. I go through some coffee filters, but they are recyclable. I also don't use excelsior anymore I use the plastic grid stuff knitters use. Found at michaels. Dishwashable. Reusable. I'm making cultures every week, so I'm glad to cut back on waste.

I bought a culture in a glass jar and I love it. The flys glide over the glass easier. Better control when feeding out.

I could see me with glass, hundreds of glass piled upon each other.... tee hee! It would work better probably, but I would have them all broke in no time!

Good advise, I usually line the entire cup with glued towel, so it cannot get loose in shipment regardless of the orientation of the box.

Latest posts