Feeding mealworms carrots?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

proserpina

Reaction score
Hi all, I had a question about mealworms and their source of hydration.

I remember reading a thread on here about how crickets who eat carrots can cause death in the mantises who in turn eat the crickets--and I'm worried if it will be the same case for mealworms. I bought about 80 mealworms from PetSmart 2 days ago and have them in a media of oats, cornmeal, and dried milk power; they seem to be doing well and my goal is to purge and gut load them before feeding them to the mantises.

However, while I was at Walmart getting their food, I completely forgot about the carrot crisis, and now currently the mealworms are eating baby carrots for hydration. Will this harm my mantises, and should I switch to potatoes instead? I don't want to hurt my babies, and I'll go to Walmart today if I need to pick up some potatoes for the mealworms.

I would switch them off carrots just to be safe. Mealworms aren't picky at all, lettuce, potato, onion etc, they will eat! Potato or apple is definitely the best thing to feed them though, as it cuts down on mould and they don't dry out as fast as other vegetables/fruits.

If anyone has an explanation on why carrots are harmful to mantids I'd love to hear it btw!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have heard that many times, I do know whenever I have fed a cricket to mantis they were sick afterwards or died, so by chance? so not

taking chances anymore.

I've never seen any evidence to prove carrots are a problem. I fed my crickets carrots and my roaches get them, and I've never had an issue with mysterious deaths.

That being said I am a fan of variety so I would probably rotate out different fruits/veggies or offer a couple different kinds.

Thanks for all the input guys! I'm going to switch them out to potatoes soon since I just don't want to take any chances. The mealworms already seem gorged so hopefully it won't take long to get the carrots out of their systems.

Mealworms supposedly can eat styrofoam. I'm curious how that affects their nutrition level.

Really? I know they'll chew up cardboard but I didn't know about styrofoam, though I can't imagine it would be great for the mantises.

@Zeppy44 lol! @Orin yeah they're nasty things, I keep them in plastic containers with oats. I'll give them apples and potato, but I'm sure if they ate Styrofoam they wouldn't be very nutritious or perhaps even dangerous to the mantis. I've been gutting a lot lately because you can never be too safe. If I don't keep an eye out one will die and they all start feasting on their fallen brethren ? 

Look up mealworms eating styrofoam, it is hard to believe but reportedly supported by evidence. It would be interesting to see if it had any effect on mantids that eat them.

I don't have a mantis yet, but I keep crickets and roaches to feed my lizard. Generally, you want to give your feeders food that will make them good food for your pet. I doubt styrofoam has any nutrients in it for a proper gut loading, along with cardboard. I wouldn't feed my mantis or bearded dragon styrofoam/cardboard, so I'd rather not gut load with those lol. 

I don't have a mantis yet, but I keep crickets and roaches to feed my lizard. Generally, you want to give your feeders food that will make them good food for your pet. I doubt styrofoam has any nutrients in it for a proper gut loading, along with cardboard. I wouldn't feed my mantis or bearded dragon styrofoam/cardboard, so I'd rather not gut load with those lol. 
Trust me, I'm not going to feed the worms styrofoam  :p  Like I mentioned, they're eating oats, cornmeal, and milk powder--I wouldn't even dream of feeding them stuff that would hurt my mantises.

Just an update, all!

I fed a mealworm to one of my ghosts--this mealworm had indeed eaten carrots.

This was a few days ago, and my mantis is perfectly fine!

Hi,

Some people may give their livefood calcium supplement but carrot binds calcium. Maybe this has something to do with it? I've never heard of this before. I would switch off carrots just to be safe.

Latest posts