Feeding Miomantis Paykullii

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blacknova

Reaction score
Hello, I just received my mantid today and was wondering, I am using the enclosure that came with it from mantispets.com (small starter container) and was wondering how many fruit flies should be placed in the container for each feeding ? I put two in as the directions stated by the container seems rather large for a L4 and two fruit flies.

The problem with oversized enclosures is that the mantids don't come into contact with the food as often and therefore results in you needing to feed much more.

Two fruit flies seems far too few. There is no set number but I would probably toss in 20 to start and watch the mantids abdomen. You want the abdomen to be plump, not thin, and not where it looks like it will burst (it won't). It may take you some trial and error to figure out how many flies it takes. I haven't kept that species in years but at some point you will be able to move up to house flies.

Thanks everyone, Zorak is L4 which leads me to my next question about feeding, what other sources of dos at L4 can you use ? How long are FFs typically used ? I have seen other food sources such as crickets, etc but my mantis seems too small for some of them.

Thanks everyone, Zorak is L4 which leads me to my next question about feeding, what other sources of dos at L4 can you use ? How long are FFs typically used ? I have seen other food sources such as crickets, etc but my mantis seems too small for some of them.
There is no set time at which you can transition to a different food. If a food item is not more than a third the size of the mantis it likely can take it. You may be able to try houseflies. I think I fed the adults bluebottle flies.

Hi, last month i found a mantis in a garden and kept it for a few weeks. I believe it was a miomantis paykullii. It was about 3 cm long (female according to segments number) and after 1-2 weeks it moulted showing wingbuds for the first time (not sure about instar) . I fed with flies that came in the house about 2-3 every week depending on size. Not sure what type but they were larger than its head. If i couldn't find any for 4-5 days i fed with raw chicken meat. It was enough to keep the abdomen round. 2 weeks later it molted again but unfortunately i was already gone :( . Hope it helps.

Latest posts