Feeding troubles!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Aaron Vasquez The two likely causes is the nymph is getting ready to molt, or the feeders are too large for it.

Try switching to a smaller feeder, but as I have no idea of the nymph size I can't make any recommendations. A easy rule of thumb is to inspect the size of their raptorial forearms and give them prey that can easily be held. :)

If you post a photo, where the size of the nymph can be determined, or specify a size, we can help in suggesting appropriate sized prey feeders.

ooooh thanks, I really apreciate it, I cant post it, always says error error, can you follow me on instagram?  I will post it there Aaronvq95 is mya account

@Aaron Vasquez The two likely causes is the nymph is getting ready to molt, or the feeders are too large for it.

Try switching to a smaller feeder, but as I have no idea of the nymph size I can't make any recommendations. A easy rule of thumb is to inspect the size of their raptorial forearms and give them prey that can easily be held. :)

If you post a photo, where the size of the nymph can be determined, or specify a size, we can help in suggesting appropriate sized prey feeders.
yeah I was thinking molting, since at one point I was freaking out on here too and she ended up molting, lol

ooooh thanks, I really apreciate it, I cant post it, always says error error, can you follow me on instagram?  I will post it there Aaronvq95 is mya account
Is this the photo, the nymph on your thumb? (Simple copy and paste of the image source, and seems to be working)

At that small of a size the nymph should be fed fruit flies, likely Hydei FF would be fine or pinhead crickets.

14368938_1357388757605180_8952655665457790976_n.jpg

yeah I was thinking molting, since at one point I was freaking out on here too and she ended up molting, lol
It is a common issue when dealing with nymphs. Glad to hear that was all your problem was. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont have crickets or fruit flies, I started to feed it with ants, is this correct? or is bad for it?, and about Tenebrio molitor larvae is good?

I dont have crickets or fruit flies, I started to feed it with ants, is this correct? or is bad for it?, and about Tenebrio molitor larvae is good?
Ants can easily kill a mantis as they are defenseless to them, and are natural enemies in the wild - ants should be avoided completely. Sure mealworms (Tenebrio molitor) will work if you tear them into small enough pieces for your mantis.

ahhh okok thanks for the info!! I really need it! 
Your welcome, but sorry to hear the more common feeders are not available in your country/area. You said you found mealworms (Tenebrio molitor), so you may be able to locate some of the other feeders often available - such as the black soldier fly (Hermetia illucens) larvae/worms or adult flies, Superworms (Zophobas morio) as larvae/worms, and Waxworms (Achroia grisella and Galleria mellonella) as larvae/worms or adult moths.

Also as you have already been searching for prey outside you may have some luck finding other types that should work for you too.

Likely most prey you find will be too large for your nymph, but you should be able to tear it into usable pieces for your nymph. Some good feeders you may find are field crickets, grasshoppers, moths, various flies (stable flies, houseflies, bottle flies), silverfish, mosquitos, Katydids, so called leaf hoppers, or just about anything that doesn't have a hard shell. Of course as you will likely have to tear the feeders into pieces anyway, some shelled bugs/insects may be usable too as the shell tends to be the problem more than the prey insides.

In most cases if the mantis does not like the feeder, or detects it as something it should not eat, the mantis will avoid it or puke what it did eat back up. Shortly after starting I fed my nymphs some very questionable insects, some that are recommended to avoid, and did not have any problems with the mantis deciding what it wanted or getting rid of what it did eat. It may not be good advice, however if you are really stuck finding feeders it may help you.

Just search around plants/vegetation for the best results. If you can get or make a insect net it will greatly increase your chances and feeder options - and one of the best things I own. I personally feed my various pets in the warmer months almost exclusively from wild caught feeders.

The more common things to avoid are ants, centipedes, lady bugs, milkweed bugs, slugs, earthworms, snails, and such - and if you discover brightly colored insects (reds, orange, and such) it is best to avoid them as many can be toxic.

Best of luck. :)

Your welcome, but sorry to hear the more common feeders are not available in your country/area. You said you found mealworms (Tenebrio molitor), so you may be able to locate some of the other feeders often available - such as the black soldier fly (Hermetia illucens) larvae/worms or adult flies, Superworms (Zophobas morio) as larvae/worms, and Waxworms (Achroia grisella and Galleria mellonella) as larvae/worms or adult moths.

Also as you have already been searching for prey outside you may have some luck finding other types that should work for you too.

Likely most prey you find will be too large for your nymph, but you should be able to tear it into usable pieces for your nymph. Some good feeders you may find are field crickets, grasshoppers, moths, various flies (stable flies, houseflies, bottle flies), silverfish, mosquitos, Katydids, so called leaf hoppers, or just about anything that doesn't have a hard shell. Of course as you will likely have to tear the feeders into pieces anyway, some shelled bugs/insects may be usable too as the shell tends to be the problem more than the prey insides.

In most cases if the mantis does not like the feeder, or detects it as something it should not eat, the mantis will avoid it or puke what it did eat back up. Shortly after starting I fed my nymphs some very questionable insects, some that are recommended to avoid, and did not have any problems with the mantis deciding what it wanted or getting rid of what it did eat. It may not be good advice, however if you are really stuck finding feeders it may help you.

Just search around plants/vegetation for the best results. If you can get or make a insect net it will greatly increase your chances and feeder options - and one of the best things I own. I personally feed my various pets in the warmer months almost exclusively from wild caught feeders.

The more common things to avoid are ants, centipedes, lady bugs, milkweed bugs, slugs, earthworms, snails, and such - and if you discover brightly colored insects (reds, orange, and such) it is best to avoid them as many can be toxic.

Best of luck. :)
Thank you very much admin!!! you have been very helpful! I started following your advice! take a look 

15078822_1486320561383092_6541131692264548910_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much admin!!! you have been very helpful! I started following your advice! take a look
Your welcome :)

Great, your little nymph is filling up on some aphids (which is natural prey in the wild) - glad you found some feeders.
thumbs-up2.gif

Latest posts