fiberglass window screen.

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frogparty

Reaction score
I use fiberglass window screen for building false bottoms in dart frog vivariums. Do you think its acceptable for covering the lids of jars, and adding to the insides for extra traction? the mesh size is very small, but theres a lot more give than metal mesh.

thoughts?

I hear crickets can eat through it, but this would not be an issue for me since I only put in what can be eaten right away. and would not be an issue as a traction surface. when I first got my matis a glass vase with fiberglass mesh rubber-banded to the top worked for a few days as home.

Fiberglass mesh is what I use for my silk worms and horn worms and other insects other than mantids. I sometimes ship mantids inside a fiber glass stapled deli cup because they travel well in it.

Fiberglass mesh is too slippery for molting from IMHO.

I recommend doing what I do and get a fine holed soft fabric mesh. Fold it up and layer it so there are a dozen layers and hot glue the surrounding after you cut out the shape of the container's cover size. Obviously it will have to be wider since you must rubber band it to the container.

The layers of tiny holes are awesome for mantids clinging to, and FFs shouldn't be able to climb thru it, just make sure you get a tiny holed mesh fabric! ;)

Hope this helps! Post some pix of your dendrobates! Please! lol

I use window screen with no ill effects. I cut a round hole in the lid and hot glue the screen to the top. All my mantids molt fine and grip it perfectly. It also gives me the ability to mist them without ever having to remove the lid.

gota agree w/Patrick, the fiberglas mesh is good for footholds and so forth, also the " no see em" on my site is fiberglass and holds in the mels.

Yep, I have the same experience as Scott and Rebecca, and just bought a roll of the stuff, 36"x 84" for a few bucks. This is probably better than my old source. I used to drive a few blocks and cut out the screens out of people's screen doors, but some of them have noisy dogs, and the screen is always dirty and has to be washed, so I recommend plan A. :D

It works fine just not with Mels... So here is what you do guys!!! You put a piece of tissue under it and mels do not get out AT ALL! Then you hold it down with a rubber band around rim.

set up 6 16 oz glass jars for my ghost L3s today. paper towel substrate, an angled stick from floor to ceiling, and a piece of fiberglass screen held down by the lid ring for the jar. No melanos escaped, and all 6 were hanging from the screen when I left to come to the lab. I like that it allows me to use my mister and not feel like most of the moisture gets caught by the screen.

Yep, I have the same experience as Scott and Rebecca, and just bought a roll of the stuff, 36"x 84" for a few bucks. This is probably better than my old source. I used to drive a few blocks and cut out the screens out of people's screen doors, but some of them have noisy dogs, and the screen is always dirty and has to be washed, so I recommend plan A. :D
I'm glad I don't live in Arizona...although that IS one way to save money..haha

Works great. I always keep some around.

Same here! Those pesky neighbors... don't know why they hated me ;) .

Latest posts