Finally...I got orchids!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcal

Reaction score
I got 10 orchid nymphs on the way! I have been waiting to get some of these for awhile now. Any tips you guys could provide me with will be great!

They are alot heartier than most lead them to be, all they really require is some high humidity like Shield said, and temps in the 70-80. Congrats man, thats exciting!

Mine get shipped Monday, so I should have them by Wednesday! I'm pretty stoked! I'm used to keeping things in high humidity, the conditions I keep my dart frogs in are 80% to 90% humidity and between 70 to 80.

I have been balancing out the humidity so i believe i have it high enough for them. they will be in 16 oz deli cups in a ten gallon tank with the top covered. i have a computer fan attached to the top for ventilation.

its good to hear that they are not as sensitive as people make them out to be. i believe mine will arrive wed too so i have a feeling i will be sick that day (cough...cough).

I do have a question. What housing setup has been successful for you guys? I am currently looking for raffia straw but I haven’t found any yet. Do you guys just use sticks, foam, bamboo skewers…ect.

I used a 12x12x18 exo terra as well. I kept wahlbergii in it for a while, then swapped them out for an orchid. She did seem to thrive in the higher humidity:

MantisTerr1.jpg

Thanks for all of the input. And I will take them off my signature as soon as they get here!

How early can you sex them? I've read l2 but I believe l4 was the soonest.

I got 10 orchid nymphs on the way! I have been waiting to get some of these for awhile now. Any tips you guys could provide me with will be great!
Thanks for the patient waiting the mantis into L2. All the best to you with this species.
remember L4 is sub-adult for males!
Males need 6 molts, so L6 is subadult stage, not L4.

i got my 3 from yen the other day, working on finishing thier enclosures :D so they will have plenty of humidity.

I'm keeping them in simple jar set ups until they get big enough to move into planted tanks for display. They sure are voracious! Eating lots of hydei every day. What instar do they become sexable so I can slow the males down?

All molted to L3 but one! . The bigger they get the better. I think I will setup a display case for a few of them.

Frog. This will help you with the sexing.

http://mantidforum.n...=1

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts