Fines for exotic mantis...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BugCatcher

Reaction score
So being a nube and researching the legalities of the keeping of exotic species in my area.

I read on the forum about the 526 permit so I decided to contact APHIS and he told me the the importation, interstate travel, and keeping by a private collector is prohibited unless you have a containable room inspected and hold the permit..

Soo... ######?!?!

How are so many people doing this and the hobby grown so much? And how concerned should I really be with entering into the hobby? Has anyone on the forum run into any of these issues?

Personaly I think what happens in my home is my business and thats that.

But id like to start out and eventually work with more species and be able to trade species with other hobbyist to expand on my collection as it grows. But is this a constant lookingvover your shoukder thing with shipping and breeding??

My first Mantis are a Blonde variation of the Ghost Mantis!! Excited!

Let's not forget that in your great state of Pennsylvania it is also illegal to sing in a bathtub.
My point is that just because there is a law or statute doesn't mean there's anyone enforcing it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Even if you get caught, it's nowhere near 300k in fines. I've heard of 1k fines for imported packages.

As Canada I was told if is ur first time getting caught .. I think they will make u watch while they kill everything and give u a warning .. but the next time u'll get fine..

So basically dont try to import abunch of things and keep to myself basically.. lol of you experienced hobbyist arent worried than I wont stress. Thanks everyone!!

In my country if I get caught with cute exotic pets they'll want to look at it, maybe pet it, have a nice talk and everyone goes theirs business. If I get caught with creepy exotic pets, authorities would promptly show me the closest exit so they wouldn't have to deal with them, lol.

In other words, nobody here gives a damn.

In my country if I get caught with cute exotic pets they'll want to look at it, maybe pet it, have a nice talk and everyone goes theirs business. If I get caught with creepy exotic pets, authorities would promptly show me the closest exit so they wouldn't have to deal with them, lol.

In other words, nobody here gives a damn.
your lucky haha

Last edited by a moderator:
With all the fiscal restraints placed on the various governmental agencies, especially with enforcement of crimes or violations that really hurt nobody, there is little that goes enforced at this moment of our country's history. That being stated, the laws are still there and can be enforced at will should things be conducive or if it is appropriate for an example to be set. One just has to be as prudent as one can and ask that shippers not place the words, "live insects" on the packages.

Moving from New Jersey to Pennsylvania two years ago, I thought PA regulations would be less burdensome. Wrong!!

I know of many in FL who have been dealt heavy fines for exotic mantids w/o a permit. But FL is pretty tough in enforcing these laws. Join the hobby at your own risk :)

Latest posts