first time making medium

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcal

Reaction score
ok so i read mikhails way of making this mixture but i have a few questions

1. how much yeast? a pinch or do i mix with water and add some of the water

2. how do i use the coffee filters? do i put the filter in the container first and plop the mixture in the middle or cover the mixture with the filter?

OK, well after the medium is finish, small pinch of yeast. At least 20 grains lol i dont know, a small pinch =). Coffee filter, i cut the bottoms off and stack them on each other ON TOP of the medium. i use around 5 filters per cup, anything less and the filter collapses on itself and kills alot of them(my findings). But experiment and see what works for you.

Pretty much the same answers as above.

Use a pinch of active yeast. Or do you need measurements of brewers yeast? Use a small pinch is all I can say pertaining to how many to use. There's no "you need 17 grains or your cultures will fail" formula or anything like that.

I use excelsior for the FF's to crawl on. Coffee filters work too though. Put your media in the FF cup THEN add the coffee filters. It's better to put too many filters in than not enough. Not enough and they will wick moisture and fall over and make your culture not nearly as productive. Some people say to fold them accordian style or some other fancy style. Try anything really, there's no specific way. Each way of doing it seems to work more or less. The above posters way seems like a good idea. I will experiment with it on the next cultures I make actually.

Jeff

Do the filters serve the same purpose as excelsior? If so they really are not needed. I sometimes add a small ball of excelsior but in all honesty have not seen any difference when I use nothing at all. Be careful of putting too much stuff in there as it can make getting the flies out more difficult.

I have just lately found that the rolled cardboard I use is more is not less. The maggots are all over it, the more I use the more they spread, I just try not to let it get to dry, but for the filters, half a dozen to start, I sometimes have to readd as they do make it topple over. Don't like excelsior myself, a lot of people use it, seems cultures with it are more prone to mites. IMO :p

i really need a grain count for the yesst. i want to get it perfect

:p jk guys a pinch it is

thanks for all of your quick help gang. i just bought excelsior so thats what im going to start with. not a coffee drinker. im curious about the rolled cardboard. do you sell that at your site or have a picture of it?

The best thing about raising FFs is that they will grow on almost anything that is fermenting and preferably contains some soluble sugar like fructose. Unfortunately, they are so successful that almost any "recipe" containing irrelevant stuff like masa flour or vinegar is published and adopted by folks who don't want to bother to discover what the flies' nutritional needs are.

Instead of adding to the advice on how many grains of active yeas to add -- they all work and are all seriously inadequate -- I'll give you some questions that you might want to research. All of the answers can be found on the 'net, and I and others have answered most of them on this forum at one time or another.

Must the food be water soluble in order for the maggots to ingest it?

Where do they get their fat supply?

If the maggots are at the bottom of the medium and the yeast is on the top, how does it do them any good?

In nature, is yeast or vinegar necessary to get the flies to lay their eggs?

What does yeast need to grow on?

Will their still be some yeast in the medium even if you don't add any?

Many of us use brewer's yeast. Are all of the amino acids that it contains water soluble?

Are light and temperature important factors in growing FF's?

How about moisture?

Are you looking for maximum fly production or most cost effective production?

There. When you can answer those, you will understand something about Ff nutrition and be able to raise good cultures.

Please don't feel intimidated by Phil. You'll get used to his sense of humor and excellent knowledge soon. :)
i have thick skin. i have already mixed up the mash so we will see what happens in a week or so.

thanks for the info phil. in the meantime i will dig into the art deeper. my overall goal is to feed the few mantis i have and try to save some money, but being knowledgeable doesn't hurt

I have just lately found that the rolled cardboard I use is more is not less. The maggots are all over it, the more I use the more they spread, I just try not to let it get to dry, but for the filters, half a dozen to start, I sometimes have to readd as they do make it topple over. Don't like excelsior myself, a lot of people use it, seems cultures with it are more prone to mites. IMO :p
SIX coffee filters?! Really? I couldn't imagine putting one in there let alone six! I don't understand why some people cram these things full of stuff like that. A ball of excelsior the size of a ping pong ball is more than enough. Usually I put nothing and it works just as well.

i use about 5-6 filters, but there not stacked, they are lightly placed inside each other, so its like having a ball of excelsior =) when i use it at my house i use nothing most of the time, but if i am mailing a culture i need something to keep the medium steady while shipping.

Rick is right. I find that too much stuff in there and the flies get trapped or they jump out easier (and not in the place you're trying to put them).

Last edited by a moderator:
If I wasnt such a poor pic taker, I could show mine..... I used the filters like Doug does when I used them, made hubby seperate them while he would watch tv. :lol: But I find the rolls work better!

HECK YEAH!!! I GOT MAGGOTS!!!!

thanks for all of your help guys. pretty easy and straight forward. :rolleyes:

looks like that endless supply of flys is obtainable.

ok i think i done something wrong. i have pupa on the sides of the container but no flys have emerged as of yet?

what did i do wrong? they are at room temp....could this be the problem?

ok i think i done something wrong. i have pupa on the sides of the container but no flys have emerged as of yet?

what did i do wrong? they are at room temp....could this be the problem?
It takes a few days for the flies to emerge. Everything is fine. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
jcal,

yep, it takes a few days before the explotion happens.

I personaly still use the stringy stuff. I don't ball it up, I just add a small amount and loosen it up a drop so when I tap the container they all fall to the side before running up. I then just tap them into the funnel that is used to feed the mantids.

for me the key is just not using too much stuff in the FF container and it works well for me.

I've used toilet paper rolls in the past, and that works great too.

as for Phill, I love him. I personaly don't always agree with him, but he's a great guy and I wish he would post some photos of his pets. I always love to hear his storys.

Harry

ok. thanks guys. its been about a week since they started sticking to the sides, but i will give them a few more days.

Latest posts