First Vivarium

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantisGirl13

Reaction score
IMG_20190422_195406_hdr.jpgIt's nothing too exciting but I had fun with it! I put a drainage layer of rocks down first, then a layer of dirt, then a layer of live moss from our woods. I have three ferns in there as well as another small plant. I also have a birch branch and some bark. It looks nice, and I hope it lasts a while. I am keeping a Giant Kenya Budwing female in there right now, but I plan to move an orchid female in there instead. Eventually, I want to convince my parents to let me get a baby crested gecko, and it will live in the vivarium until it outgrows it. 

Sorry for the bad pic.

IMG_20190422_195406_hdr.jpg

- MantisGirl13

Thanks! I made a background for it today so it looks much better.

- MantisGirl13

Here's the vivarium just about completed! (Still have to wait for the plants to grow)

Sorry for the bad pic!

IMG_20190423_180207_hdr.jpg

I made the back with real bark hot-glued onto contact-paper covered cardboard. If I do get a crestie eventually, I included a hide and a food dish in the bark background, although this pic doesn't show them.

- MantisGirl13

Nice! Some local springtails would be fun to watch populate. Not as much star power as a crestie but fun nonetheless.

I like having springtails for sure. They will keep mold down with 0 effort on your part. I also like isopods, but they would be second on my list.

It looks great!

I like having springtails for sure. They will keep mold down with 0 effort on your part. I also like isopods, but they would be second on my list.

It looks great!
Thanks! I will get springtails when I get the chance.  Is there an easy way to find and culture wild springtails? I already had to throw one stick out because of mold.

- MantisGirl13

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! I will get springtails when I get the chance.  Is there an easy way to find and culture wild springtails? I already had to throw one stick out because of mold.

- MantisGirl13
I never use wild springtails or isopods for fear of parasites/pesticide but that is because I am in the city. If you can find a wooded natural area, the best place to find them is under rotting logs. When I use to go look for Salamanders upstate I would often find tons of isopods/springtails under these logs. 

I never use wild springtails or isopods for fear of parasites/pesticide but that is because I am in the city. If you can find a wooded natural area, the best place to find them is under rotting logs. When I use to go look for Salamanders upstate I would often find tons of isopods/springtails under these logs. 
I live near a small woods. I already found some isopods. What is the best way to collect the springtails? They are so tiny! 

- MantisGirl13

@MantisGirl13 well I can think of two ways, one is to collect a bunch of wet leaf litter, rotten pieces of wood/bark and set it up in a container then put out a piece of mushroom in the container. Springtails LOVE eating mushrooms, this is what I feed my springtails. If there is any springtails in the container they will swarm the mushroom, then you can take the piece of mushroom and shake the springtails into a clean container to culture. Another way is using the mushroom and setting it up in the woods under a rotten log then returning the next day to see if any springtails are on it and shake them into a container. Also springtails are hydrophobic meaning they will always float on top of water, if you can find a way to gather materials that have springtails in it, and fill it without water with making a mess, all the springtails will collect on top :)  hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
@MantisGirl13 well I can think of two ways, one is to collect a bunch of wet leaf litter, rotten pieces of wood/bark and set it up in a container then put out a piece of mushroom in the container. Springtails LOVE eating mushrooms, this is what I feed my springtails. If there is any springtails in the container they will swarm the mushroom, then you can take the piece of mushroom and shake the springtails into a clean container to culture. Another way is using the mushroom and setting it up in the woods under a rotten log then returning the next day to see if any springtails are on it and shake them into a container. Also springtails are hydrophobic meaning they will always float on top of water, if you can find a way to gather materials that have springtails in it, and fill it without water with making a mess, all the springtails will collect on top :)  hope this helps
Good advice here. I would also look on craigslist or similar in your area or a local reptile store. People who culture springtails usually have tons extra and they aren't worth much. The main cost is in shipping when you order online. I keep my cultures with just water and charcoal to make it easy to maintain. I add rice or brewers' yeast every couple of weeks. They make short work of mold. I like isopods almost as a secondary pet, and the way I keep mine they add work rather than relieve work.

The risk of mites is real. I ordered some isopods from someone that started their culture from wild stock. Within 4 weeks I noticed many isopod deaths, and then started seeing the mites themselves. At that point the whole colony is pretty much done and I just try to keep from cross-contaminating. With my mantises I try extra hard not to take those chances. Usually people recommend only using the second generation of isopods for your vivarium by taking out the babies at a very young age and putting them in a new sterile container. This minimizes risk of accidental mites, but requires months of patience.

Latest posts