For newbs and anyone else really...

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just a question you need to be rich or have alot of spare change if you can invest in 60 idolos and most people charge high prices per nymph usually or expect alot for them!

Idolo breeding? I have three bred right now, first ooth had 77 nymphs, with MANY more to come! My prices a pretty cheap(best on the forum's) on them if anyone wants to try their hand at some. :)

And that is one long azz post there Bud! :clown:

Where do I begin?

Umm... I'm not trying to be confrontational, but don't you regularly lose entire batches of mantids? Didn't you lose a ton of Orchid nymphs, for instance? And didn't you just state in your other post that you hope you can keep your basement warm enough to keep that Pseudacanthops alive?

The only reason I point this out is I find parts of your rant offensive. Suggesting that keeping ANY species communally is a bad move is just absurd. Additionally, there are people that love their mantids and give them tons of attention but don't want to have 60 of any species even if they are considered a difficult breed. Not everyone is looking to make money by breeding reams of mantids. Some of us just love our pets and maybe keep a second generation. I think that's successful keeping.

Another problem with keeping a bunch in one enclosure is misting them and feeding them. If one is in the middle of molting, you can not move that net cage or open that tank without risking a major disturbance and having that 1 nymph fall and die from mis-molting.
Same can happen if kept individually. In fact, probably happens way more often if you have so many separate containers you can't take the time to look in each before misting.

I had only four L2 Orchid nymphs. They all made it to adult. Got my first ooth this morning. I recall your statement about wild collected ooths being better, etc. So your Orchid ooths were wild collected. As I understand it you mainly buy ooths and sell the nymphs, so what exactly have you bred? Again, I'm not trying to be a smart azz. I just don't know what you have bred. The Idolo you sold were from ooths you bought too. Seems you mainly buy ooths. Feel free to correct. Like I said, I don't really know, which is why I ask.

You want to be successful? Get at least 60 L1 nymphs, and keep each in their own deli cup. Even if you put 8 in each 1 ft. sqaured butterfly net cage, even if you read and view people's experiences of keeping a bunch in one large cage, etc. There IS STILL a POSSIBILITY of a nymph getting knocked off a branch while molting. Why risk it????????
RIDICULOUS! I have successfully bred many species, nearly every species I've kept, and the most I've ever had of any were ten L2 nymphs to start off unless I hatched an ooth.

Sadly, I would disregard the majority of what you've said about Idolos. Idolo are way too big to be kept comfortable in a deli cup as anything other than a temporary fix. I would consider that cruel and not very good way to appreciate your beautiful pet, but I suppose if you are looking at it as a business...

This species can be sexed at L3 with an amazing naked eye, much easier to sex at L5 though lol.
Like the female L4 you sold me as a male??? It lived exactly 9 days in my possession. Maybe this is the wrong place to bring it up but it was never resolved, or replaced and this post reminded me of it. (I suppose this should be written in your feedback instead.)

Not sure why you've felt the need to write this post but I think a lot of this advice is off the mark and I felt I needed to say my part so anyone reading this doesn't take it as gospel. Sorry to disagree. I do not claim to be a big time breeder, but I love my pets and have fun watching them grow and interact with myself and each other. That's all the success I need.

60 Idolo's is a lot to raise for breeding...

Last edited by a moderator:
Whoa. That was long, and just whoa. Anyway..

Being a "pro" mantis keeper is easy and simple. Don't let ANY ONE discourage you by telling you, this isn't a species for beginners. Unless of course, you are only interested in keeping a bug that doesn't involve any work other than a few flies a day and a spray...
In response to this, at least, I thank you for being one of the few people to sell me anything as a newb. Several people wouldn't even respond to my PM's, which I thought was kind of rude, but whatever. Not a big deal. My first mantis was a B. mendica and my third was the Idolo you sold me. Everyone said they were both too hard, and I've had zero problems with either. They're doing great. My mendica is about to molt to adult, and my Idolo has never lost a limb even though everyone tried to tell me it would lose legs like crazy or die since I only got one.. Do they have a high mortality rate, yeah. Do they do fine if you care for them properly- many times yes. So thanks for having faith, sir.

Agreed!!!(Henry) I'm kind of a one trick pony a the moment, but it's a heck of a trick, I keep many Idolo together 10-20+ in several different enclosures, they only need to be well fed and have vertical as well as horizontal places to hang out(many stick/branches or vines) and they do very well together.

You need the have some heart and understanding about them if its just about money it won't work!

I'm loaded with fertile ooths from my idolo now and I never keep any in a deli or by themselves except if I spotted a sub adult about to molt.

If you don't know what your saying then don't speak as some people may think you know what your talking about!!!

Brian, this must be a record for the longest post.

It's really not practical for most of us to buy 60 L1 Idolo nymphs...even with Nick's great price and hardy stock! I can't imagine having to feed nymphs in 60 enclosures or clean that many. I only bought 10 L1 nymphs back in May and raised them communally. I was fortunate that I did not lose any to cannibalism, though I know it's a possibility. Because of their size, I'd rather have them live in a large enclosure with a chance of cannibalism or knocking each other down than living in a small deli cup. I had to separate my p. wahlbergii at L6 because they are very aggressive, and it's very time consuming to have to open 14 different enclosures for feeding...especially when I'm raising 9 other species at the moment.

You want to be successful? Get at least 60 L1 nymphs, and keep each in their own deli cup. Even if you put 8 in each 1 ft. sqaured butterfly net cage, even if you read and view people's experiences of keeping a bunch in one large cage, etc. There IS STILL a POSSIBILITY of a nymph getting knocked off a branch while molting. Why risk it????????

Meagan...i feel your pain ;)

Im still learning so i will take what i can. This went way different then i thought when i first read this post.

So are you saying you're a pro? There are only a few people on this board that I would consider "pros."

I'm newbish, so i may be wrong. But for me, a 'Pro Mantis Keeper' sounds like someone who buys 2 male and 2 female (young) nymphs and tells hisself that 'No matter what i'll get two of them to breed successfully. I know that if I have just 4, i'll give them the best attention that I possibly can. Once i've proven myself with this species, THEN i'll buy a truckload... or not.'

And in the end he pulls it off (cuz he's a Pro)... if not, he (ok, maybe she) buys another 4 and tries his/her best to troubleshoot.

No offence, but buying 60 ('investing in enough nymphs so a decent amount become adults') sounds more like what a Businessman would recommend.

I do agree with keeping them apart, though.

I think crisp is more of a pro then brian is and he knows way more but thats just my personal experience and I am a pro myself but only on easy to breed and raise species and never claim to know it all or say that I do like this post and would not waste my time posting such a long post with little to show for my efforts in the process but to each their own!

I want that 7 minutes of my life back thank you... I am no Pro, but half of this stuff sounds rediculous....

Well, that certainly got a vigorous reaction, Brian! I think that what upset some folks was that they saw you as saying that their practiice, like using net cages, was "B.S." or nonsense. There is an unfortunate tendency for a lot of us, particularly those writing an individual (as opposed to forum) caresheet, of being too dogmatic. If you say, "Never feed your insects bees or wasps, they may sting your mantids and injure them, you are flat wrong, but if you say, "I never feed bees or other stinging insects to my mantids for fear that they might get stung and injured," then no one can argue except, perhaps, to say that this has never happened to them.

Another good idea is to explain to your audience why you do what you do. You mention that leaving water in a bucket for 24hrs is BS because it is safer to wait for 48 hours, but why are you doing this in the first place? To let the chlorine dissipate into the air? Have you ever tested the water for frree chlorine after a day? And why are you worrying about chlorine in the water, anyway? Aquarium fish live in water, and if it contains too much chlorine, the fishes' gills will become irritated, though their GI tract is not affected, to my knowledge.. But a drop of chlorinted water is hardly likely to harm the tough gut of a mantis. Distilled water is used for spraying deli cups not because of the danger of chlorine, but because the minerals in tap water will be deposited on the plastic when the water evaporates, and those minerals will not lessen from the water being lefyt exposed to the air.

Still, your post was more thought provoking than questions like, "What TV shows should I watch with my mantis?" :D

I dont think half of what he was saying should not be actually taken literally with a pound of salt!

I don't understand the purpose of your post Brian. Lots of questions... Why post details about idolomantis diabolica care in a new topic when there's already a great thread detailing their care? Why do you leave water out? Why do you mention "drinking water" for a lobata? Why define what a "pro" is?

No offense but given your feedback thread, I question if you are in a position to make suggestions about how to properly raise/sell mantids as a "pro".

Latest posts