Freezing

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MantisNation

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if any of you guys have ever caught wild insects like wasps, moths, etc. and froze them so when your mantids get bigger, you could thaw the feeder insects out and use them as food?

I was thinking of doing that because it will soon be getting cooler here in Florida, and not many insects will be around, but right now there seems to be an abundant amount of wasps, bees, etc. around.

Thanks,

Eros

I think the freeze and thaw method could work, but it's a risk. I often hand feed (via forceps) flies that I've placed in the freezer for a few minutes. The flies aren't moving when I feed them to the mantis, but it takes a lot of practice feeding them to mantises this way. Also, there are just some individual mantises that will not accept food this way (those picky eaters). I would recommend that you start using that technique sooner, rather than later. This way you'll know whether your mantis thinks this is a good idea. Afterall, that's the only opinion that really counts ;)

When I thaw frozen pinky mice (for our cornsnake), I place them in a plastic bag within a glass of very warm water for about 5 minutes.

You'd be better off starting a culture of your native Panchlora nivea roaches and using them as feeders through winter (better hurry). Winters in Florida? What is that...3 weeks of cloudy days?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the freeze and thaw method could work, but it's a risk. I often hand feed (via forceps) flies that I've placed in the freezer for a few minutes. The flies aren't moving when I feed them to the mantis, but it takes a lot of practice feeding them to mantises this way. Also, there are just some individual mantises that will not accept food this way (those picky eaters). I would recommend that you start using that technique sooner, rather than later. This way you'll know whether your mantis thinks this is a good idea. Afterall, that's the only opinion that really counts ;) When I thaw frozen pinky mice (for our cornsnake), I place them in a plastic bag within a glass of very warm water for about 5 minutes.

You'd be better off starting a culture of your native Panchlora nivea roaches and using them as feeders through winter (better hurry). Winters in Florida? What is that...3 weeks of cloudy days?
LOL thanks for the responses....

Where I'm at it actually gets pretty cold, theres always times in the winter when at night the plants outside FREEZE completely, yet we never get snow LOL. Usually by march its already warming up though :)

PS- it's only really cold at night, during the daytime it still gets pretty warm.

Winter in Florida? What magical part of Florida do you live in that it actually gets cold? I actually have the opposite experience with Fall/Winter being some of the best time for catching prey items down here. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: U guys are special! I have started to freeze my yellow jackets for 20 minutes (cause I forgot them) :p and the orchids are taking them and so is the texans. So right now fresh frozen yellow jackets are a big hit in the Bugatorium! I say go for it, worst is wasted time.

MantisNation's "personal information" says he lives in Port Richey which is just north of Tampa Bay.

From Wikipedia discussing Tampa Bay:

"In the winter, the low rarely drops below freezing (32°F , 0°C, 273 K), an occurrence which happens, on average, once every other year. Since the Tampa area is home to a diverse range of freeze-sensitive agriculture and aquaculture, major freezes, although very infrequent, are a major concern. The lowest temperature ever recorded in Tampa was 18°F (-7.8°C) on December 13, 1962."

Scott

LOL you guys! But yeah I live in New Port Richey now (pasco county). Trust me it gets pretty cold during the nights..not yet, but it will within the next month.

As for freezing the wasps, I meant is it alright to freeze them for long periods of time. For example, lets say I have a mantis that's L4 or so, I was wondering if it was ok to freeze wasps then, and when the nymph is larger and capable of eating larger sized prey, then thaw the wasps out and use as feeders.

I freeze my male adult crickets regularly...mostly for the noise, but they do make excellent emergency food that way. Well, at least for the mantids that will take them. I usually thaw them in water first before feeding.

Might not mean any thing but i believe that thiamine is destroyed during the freezing process ?, garter and other water loving snakes have been recorded to have developed thiamine deficiencys from being fed frozen fish.

Just a though :) dont know if it would even effect an insect ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thiamine

I believe it would indeed freeze the insects fluids, but nothing a little thawing out in warm water can't solve. Once the feeders are thawed out, the fluids are back in liquid matter ;-)

Wait, are you talking about freezing them when the mantids are L4 and feeding them when the mantids are like L6/7? I think you should start early, and see if the mantids will accept them. I'm sure you know that the insects will be dead, but try and hand feed them. Worth a try.

I would think it is possible, because the feeder insects would not rot or be spoiled when frozen. Personally i would not do it, because I do not now if the feeders will lose nutritional value because of the freezing process. But as far as the facts go, it should be okay! The only option to test it, is just to try...

It would be very handy no always have prey items... defrost and serve!

Latest posts