getting labels off plastic jars

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sschind

Reaction score
I know a lot of people use the cheeseball and pretzel type containers for their mantids and I was just wondering if anyone would care to share their tips on how they remove the paper labels and all the glue residue if the remove it at all. Some glues are pretty soluble in hot water and come off easily but others are very stubborn.

The best method I have found, without using solvents, is to fill the jar with hot water or just run it under hot water to soften the glue a little and then use the sticky side of duct tape to press onto the residue and then peel it off. Sometimes I'll just wrap a piece o duct tape sticky side out around my thumb and then just pres and lift it off the glue in a rapid motion.

Other tape will work as well but I found duct tape to work the best.

Steve Schindler

Steve,

I've stopped using adhesive labels altogether. Instead, I just write with a Sharpie directly on the container surface; including Kritter Keepers. When it's time to remove the writing, simply wet a paper towel with some 91% Isopropyl alcohol and ZIP -- off it comes, clean as a whistle.

I just use WD-40 to get the sticker and the glue off in one piece then rinse it in warm water afterwards. :whistle:

I cut around it and hot glue screening for air. I find the lids on some are thick so I put screen on one side.

Wrap soaking wet paper towels around the label and allow it to sit for a few days. You may need to remoisten the towels. After a few days the labels will come right off.

I do what Sticky does. I just cut around the label and hot glue mesh for ventilation if soaking the glue off doesn't work well.

I mostly recycle containers for shipping mantids and don't bother to remove the stickers. But I had read somewhere that peanut butter works well and have used that a couple of times with stubborn stickers. Otherwise I have just soaked them in hot water.

Here's a secret...Get a hairdryer and heat the label on the container. The adhesive will release easier when hot. If it is stubborn, just start with a corner and heat as you peel.

I've always been using "Goo Gone," which is a nicely scented liquid that removes labels and all the stickiness that comes with the labels. My mom always had it with her, since she liked reusing plastic containers. Fast forward many years, and I still find myself using it every now and then. Basically you add a few drops to the adhesive sticker, wait a few minutes, and rub it off.

However, a disclaimer - I'm not sure whether or not it is "toxic" to mantises, but to be on the safe side, I would use it only on the exteriors of containers.

My dad uses Goo-gone for everything as well... But it does have a strong chemical smell which is why I don't use it myself.

The only equivalent that works just as well for me is WD-40. Spray a few drops (not in the same room as your inverts!), leave it to work for a minute or so, and rub off. If you decide to spray a bit more so that it soakes the whole sticker, it peels off in one go. Also, to get the excess oil off the plastic, you can just use warm water and tissue (and no soap) which is what I like about itm

I accidentally sprayed WD40 on some duct tape and the world almost came to an end.

I forgot about WD40 it works great. I tried the peanut butter trick but the grape jelly just attracted ants.

If you don't have a hair dryer sometimes it will work if you just rub the backside of the plastic with a soft cloth for a minute or so. the friction will heat up the glue and make it easier to peel off.

Great suggestions everyone.

GooGone does wonders. In this case, it can be dangerous so I use vinegar for times I can't use GooGone or ammonia/bleach.

Latest posts