Ghost ooth hatching

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yeatzee

Reaction score
Well Im not sure if any of you guys saw my post concerning the trouble I've had with mating my only Phyllocrania female but needless to say I was not expecting any of her three ooths to be fertile. Still i've kept them in a 32oz. container just in case.

Well anyways I've been neglecting the ooths thinking there is no way they are fertile, rarily spritzing at all so its fairly dry in there. I went to check on the Gongylus and noticed some black stuff hanging from one of the ooths and opened the lid to investigate. Sure enough four little guys fell from the ooth :angry:

Now my questions are; should I spray the substrate until wet and leave them be? How much humidity do they like? The container holding the ooths were sitting on the side of my heat lamp... should I move them away from the heat (though its not very warm on the side)? How much heat do they need?

Thanks guys! I will post pictures if I can and if they hatch successfully check out the selling section as I just bought 6 ghost nymphs thinking it wouldn't hatch and don't need more ;)

Yes they did, but were still bundled up and not spread out. I have no way of re-hanging them :(
Bummer. The ooth was probably so dry they didn't have enough moisture to come out or maybe even form properly. I did have success one time with a dry ooth that a few came halfway out of and got stuck. Most died; but there was one little guy almost out, just stuck by his back legs. I felt so bad because he continued to live for several days like that. In the meantime, I was spraying the ooth about 3 or 4 times a day hoping some more might come out. If I remember right, I think a few more did. But what I really remember and found amazing was looking at the ooth on the 4th day, and the one who was still alive and stuck seemed to have suddenly vanished. :huh: I couldn't believe it, but he'd worked his way out. He ended up not making it... but it goes to show there might still be some hope.

Sorry to hear :(

I try to keep the ghost ooths alternately misted then dry (to make sure it doesn't go moldy) until the 5th / 6th week then mist almost every day.

Do you have a 2nd ooth from that female? That would be the one to watch closely and mist now.

Sorry to hear :( I try to keep the ghost ooths alternately misted then dry (to make sure it doesn't go moldy) until the 5th / 6th week then mist almost every day.

Do you have a 2nd ooth from that female? That would be the one to watch closely and mist now.
I've got three from her.... I've been misting daily and nothing so far :(

I've got three from her.... I've been misting daily and nothing so far :(
I'll light a special candle to the Great Mantis Goddess (Blessed be Her Name) you both you and the ooths, but in my experience with ghosts, using a towel substrate and misting daily did the trick. It's very humid in Madagascar!

UPDATE:

Well this week is finals week, but that still hasn't stopped me from giving my bugs the attention they deserve :rolleyes:

Anyways as I was walking to the garage door this morning I decided to check on my mantids real quick. Sure enough one of the ghost ooths fell off the top of the 32 oz. container (badly glued) onto the substrate. I decided to investigate a bit more, opened the lid, and found 4 freshly hatched nymphs! The "Exuvium" was visible on the ooth which has fallen. So yeah, fingers crossed I get more!

I got my ghost mantis ootheca about three or four weeks ago in the mail. Ever since then I have been misting them everyday but the ooth is still hard as a rock and doesn't grow in size?

Does anyone know if it is still alive or what I should do to care for it?

Latest posts