Ghost stuck in molt (pic)

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glock34girl

Reaction score
My ghost is molting. This is the first molt I have been able to see. He made the flip but appears stuck like his head and forelegs can't come out. Been like this for about 8 minutes. Any suggestions?

966039E6-E195-4B6B-9E0A-8BB6319DDBFD-8597-000004DD1B5786C1.jpg

Mist then put him in the dark. You won't do him any favors by being around.

It happens the same as my ghost before due to lack of humidity. I think the only thing you can do is mist him lightly some water and use some warm water to mist around your enclosure. It will help increase humidity and wish him luck :( ...

if he's walking with it still on, yeah, I'd grab some tweezers but BE CAREFUL. They are so sensitive at this point. Why did he flip? "The flip" is usually when they molt to adulthood and they flip after the molt so their wings can fill up. He shouldn't have flipped during the molt for any reason. Right?

His humidity is always on point. I have him in with a digi hydrometer. I will do what's been suggested and get back to you. Thanks!!!!

I managed to free up his head and his feet but his claws are stuck open. I can't tell if its old skin covering the joint or what. I am wondering if he will chew it off???? I misted his enclosure that was still pretty damp and placed him in the bathroom where its dark and quiet. Hope he makes it but he didn't look so hot when I put him in there. He was sort of crawling on his forlimbs rather than walking. :( Poor dude.

That happened exactly the same to my ghost... He lied on the ground for hours then starting crawling around. My ghost could not even hang himself cause his back leg was twisted to the wrong side. He died a day after that. Wish yours best luck :( .

if he's walking with it still on, yeah, I'd grab some tweezers but BE CAREFUL. They are so sensitive at this point. Why did he flip? "The flip" is usually when they molt to adulthood and they flip after the molt so their wings can fill up. He shouldn't have flipped during the molt for any reason. Right?
Likely I misspoke. I think I thought it was a flip cause of the way he came out and then just hung by his head. Like he fell out but then his head was still stuck. Sooo... cross out fingers but I don't think he's gonna make it. He looked dead.

That happened exactly the same to my ghost... He lied on the ground for hours then starting crawling around. My ghost could not even hang himself cause his back leg was twisted to the wrong side. He died a day after that. Wish yours best luck :( .
Sorry, to hear that. He is hanging upside down. Maybe that is a good thing.

Raptorials look in bad shape. That's the death sentence right there. And please stop handling him, he needs to dry out.

A problem like that is caused by lack of proper hydration. A hydrometer is not a valuable instrument as you can see from this experience. If you improve the conditions and baby it, such a specimen can eventually heal after a few molts but it will be a long road as feeding is difficult.

A problem like that is caused by lack of proper hydration. A hydrometer is not a valuable instrument as you can see from this experience. If you improve the conditions and baby it, such a specimen can eventually heal after a few molts but it will be a long road as feeding is difficult.
Yes, I was chatting someone last night who explained to me the difference between a humid tank and dry mantis. I feel horrible. :-(

Hope he turns out okay. I'm curious to know the explanation of a dry mantid vs humid environment? You mean the mantid was not drinking or you need to spray the mantid?

Latest posts