• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Mantidforum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Ghost Subadult Pair

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Villosa

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have one last subadult ghost pair available for $65 plus $8 priority or $22 express. Pm me for more details

$65 shipped priority. Really need these guys gone fast...I'm getting out of mantids for a bit to move to my university.
if u brought it down to a reasonable price like 50$ pair im sure you would sale them very fast.There over priced.

if u brought it down to a reasonable price like 50$ pair im sure you would sale them very fast.There over priced.
Mantis Place has 3 L2-L3 for $45 alone...these are guaranteed subadult pair for $65 including priority shipping which only makes it $57 for basically a mature pair of ghosts. Please do not tell me these are over priced. Thanks!

Anyway, no need, I've traded them off already for something nice. Thanks for looking.

Mantis Place has 3 L2-L3 for $45 alone...these are guaranteed subadult pair for $65 including priority shipping which only makes it $57 for basically a mature pair of ghosts. Please do not tell me these are over priced. Thanks! Anyway, no need, I've traded them off already for something nice. Thanks for looking.
i thought you had to pay shipping on top of the 65$..my mistake..sorry about that.

even so does it not strike you as rather rude to express such opinions publicly on this person's thread?
i know its a supply and demand issue n all, but asking for well over £20 ($40) for a couple of insects (which are many steps away from successful breeding) is takin the piss IMO. and just cos 'mantidplace' charges more doesnt make it ok. it just makes them wrong too. theres wanting to make your money back which is fine, and then theres being greedy by holding out for more on top, leading to a spiralling cost.

depends if we want these to be a common mantid to be bred and enjoyed by all in the hobby, or a keep these as a rare lucrative 'cash cow' for those lucky, stupid or plain rich enough to have jumped on the band wagon, and now seem to want to keep the market exclusive. :angry:

even so does it not strike you as rather rude to express such opinions publicly on this person's thread?
i was trying to point out, the reason he cant sale them is there over priced.if i see stuff thats over priced im going to say somthing if they like it or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
This whole thing is stupid now, I'm damn pissed now. Money this money that...I'm a freaking college student, on a freaking budget, if I want to trade or sell for a certain price and you dont like it then keep your mouth shut. Plain and simple, you don't walk into someone's business and point out everything that's overpriced to the owner do you? That's just plain rude and a little idiotic. And nympho, it may be cheap where you're from but over here, where these guys are ILLEGAL!!!!! that price is good enough for a sale. So please get off your high horse about morals and whatnot about greed or whatever it is you're trying to get across because you just called almost every mantis business (and I take offense because I respect each and every one of them) here a bunch of greedy bastards...smart...

Let me tell you how a good business (not that I am one but I do work for many retailers) works nympho. In many "mom and pop" stores there's a things called a product and then next to it a price. If that product never sells, the owner will lower the price. If someone (or enough people) keeps coming in and complaining about this price it just means he/she wants it but is too cheap to get it and the owner will never lower it because one day that person will cave and buy it. If I can sell my hobby for as much money as possible, of course I'm going to do it, I need it to fuel my other hobbies outside mantids. Again, I think your high horse is a little too high for you, let me get you a ladder.

Comments like these are the things that makes me not want to come back to this hobby, ever. I'm done here.

EDIT: Thank you mrblue

This whole thing is stupid now, I'm damn pissed now. Money this money that...I'm a freaking college student, on a freaking budget, if I want to trade or sell for a certain price and you dont like it then keep your mouth shut. Plain and simple, you don't walk into someone's business and point out everything that's overpriced to the owner do you? That's just plain rude and a little idiotic. And nympho, it may be cheap where you're from but over here, where these guys are ILLEGAL!!!!! that price is good enough for a sale. So please get off your high horse about morals and whatnot about greed or whatever it is you're trying to get across because you just called almost every mantis business (and I take offense because I respect each and every one of them) here a bunch of greedy bastards...smart...Let me tell you how a good business (not that I am one but I do work for many retailers) works nympho. In many "mom and pop" stores there's a things called a product and then next to it a price. If that product never sells, the owner will lower the price. If someone (or enough people) keeps coming in and complaining about this price it just means he/she wants it but is too cheap to get it and the owner will never lower it because one day that person will cave and buy it. If I can sell my hobby for as much money as possible, of course I'm going to do it, I need it to fuel my other hobbies outside mantids. Again, I think your high horse is a little too high for you, let me get you a ladder.

Comments like these are the things that makes me not want to come back to this hobby, ever. I'm done here.

EDIT: Thank you mrblue
your right,it was none of my business really..its up to you what they sale for.Theres no set price.i just thought it was a bit steape but ###### has that got to do with me. :lol: :rolleyes: i guees i got out of the bed on the wrong side.sorry if i offended you..in future if i see something that i think is over priced il keep my nose out,

your right,it was none of my business really..its up to you what they sale for.Theres no set price.i just thought it was a bit steape but ###### has that got to do with me. :lol: :rolleyes: i guees i got out of the bed on the wrong side.sorry if i offended you..in future if i see something that i think is over priced il keep my nose out,
lol funny thread

In the normal everyday world, I think most people would feel that paying $65 for a few bugs is pretty ridulous. If this were a bug that you collected in your backyard, yes, it would be a high price to ask. However, when you consider the many months that Villosa put into raising this pair of mantises, including the cost of feeder insects and time put into caring for them, and perhaps incubuting the ootheca, the price becomes a little bit easier to understand. Or perhaps he paid $15 each for them when they were L3?\

Consider also how much a person could make if they hatched out one ootheca produced by this pair. At $15/nymph you would recoup your money quickly enough.

Add to that the fact that some species are more desirable than others and you can see that his price was actually very reasonable. Most mantids are offered at around the L3 stage. Only on Mantidforum do you EVER see sub-adult Ghosts available. With the Golden Years of Yen behind us now, it's sad to say that demand for great or new species will increase, as supply decreases.

That the hobby offered a pair of sub-adult Ghost mantises at ANY price is wonderful, in my opinion.

Villosa's price was fair. When only one person in the world is offering a sub-adult pair of Ghost mantids, they get to decide how much to sell them for. Yen absolutely spoiled all of us and made the hobby what it is, today (especially in the US). If nobody fills Yen's shoes, we'll see the price of exotic mantids go WAY up!

If anybody wants a real shocker, check out the listing in the "others" for sale category (Pair of Rhino roaches for $500! And still, believe it or not...agree with it or not, that is the market price. He's the only one who has them available and he gets to decide how much they're worth. You don't have to buy them.)

up to you. if you just want to make ca$h out of them, see ya later.

probably got too many 'lightweight' non naturalists here just interested in mantids cos of the $, or because they are 'cool', before they get bored and bugger off.

i agree however. its pointless going on about morals in mere business transactions. there apparently cant even be any in (what should be) a friendly little community of amateur entomologists selling a few spare (but probably badly inbed) insects to each other with very little in the way of guarantees and the like.

didnt i say it was a 'supply and demand issue', and i didnt say you shouldnt charge a reasonable amount, just wish that ppl did not always take the cash aspect to to be the priority.

wouldnt it be great to see ppl saying, i'll sell for a low price or free to someone who knows how to look after them so they are bred and continued, and money be damned. i know, that will be exploited by the next wanker with his eye to the $ who comes along, but its still worth saying.

i suspose its what its like being on the white hot cutting edge of commerce. :rolleyes:

up to you. if you just want to make ca$h out of them, see ya later.

Then you shouldn't be commenting in the first place

probably got too many 'lightweight' non naturalists here just interested in mantids cos of the $, or because they are 'cool', before they get bored and bugger off.

My major is entomology at the Univeristy of California Davis thanks!

i agree however. its pointless going on about morals in mere business transactions. there apparently cant even be any in (what should be) a friendly little community of amateur entomologists selling a few spare (but probably badly inbed) insects to each other with very little in the way of guarantees and the like.

Your comments have been less than 'friendly'

didnt i say it was a 'supply and demand issue', and i didnt say you shouldnt charge a reasonable amount, just wish that ppl did not always take the cash aspect to to be the priority. Do you just like running your mouth about this or what? If you understand then go start your own thread and complain there...

wouldnt it be great to see ppl saying, i'll sell for a low price or free to someone who knows how to look after them so they are bred and continued, and money be damned. i know, that will be exploited by the next wanker with his eye to the $ who comes along, but its still worth saying.

No, if everything was free or cheap then this wouldn't be a very fun hobby. This hobby is all about who can spend the most resources to get the next big species into the US as far as I'm concerned. Then we learn about the species here, if you want free then go live in the country they came from, I'm sure the land there will give you all the free insects you want

i suspose its what its like being on the white hot cutting edge of commerce.

ok

Anyway I can't get the other party to communicate it seems, so anyone wants to offer me something then I'm up for it. US only please. And thanks Peter for your support on this.

Latest posts