Giant Asian with Thistle?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiny_sounds

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a 7th Giant Asian instar in a pretty big tank. It's about 2 feet x 1 foot sq. I'm getting a 6th instar thistle on Tuesday and I was wondering if I could get away with them being in the same tank.

What do you rekon? Then Asian doesn't really move around much, she pretty much stays hanging upside down in the same spot until I put her in a smaller jar to feed her. Can the two be house mates?

many thanks

Jack

Newbie question alert:

What does a thistle mantis look like? I did an image search online and I got quite a few different kinds, including orchid and Taiwan flower mantises.

Can you post a picture? I'd love to see one! :)

I agree, the giant asians are big eaters. You could always make a very secure divider. But I would keep them apart. The Thistle is fairly small, so a 2.5 gallon tank should be more than enough for it.

:D Yea, make a little tent inside the container for the thistle, maybe a 32 oz container with some twigs and flower or 2 and poke some holes in it or use a vented lid and they can drive bother each other!

Newbie question alert:What does a thistle mantis look like?
Assumming thistle mantis is B. mendica.

bmf3.jpg

:D Yea, make a little tent inside the container for the thistle, maybe a 32 oz container with some twigs and flower or 2 and poke some holes in it or use a vented lid and they can drive bother each other!
Yeah that's a plan, I guess if I got some good fine mesh, I could divide the tank in four and keep four different species. At least in two like you say. Plan Stan. :)

I really want a few of those B. mendica myself.
Me too. It's the next mantis I plan on buying. I have my hands full at the moment, though. B)

And yeah, I wouldn't put any other mantis in with an H. membranacea, not even another H. membranacea.

Is that a girlie B. mendica? Edit: (In Yen's pic)
Pardon my ignorant Becky i missed this thread completely. That female has passed away few years ago she was one of the first B. mendica i bred back in 2005/2006, i was still trying to figure out the macro button on digital camera then :lol: so yeah it is a girlie :) pregnant too ;)

Pardon my ignorant Becky i missed this thread completely. That female has passed away few years ago she was one of the first B. mendica i bred back in 2005/2006, i was still trying to figure out the macro button on digital camera then :lol: so yeah it is a girlie :) pregnant too ;)
No problem, Yen! It's really nice to have a photographic record of the different idividuals and species through the years, isn't it. :)

Latest posts